Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Converting Z55 autoride to normal shocks

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by BIGREDDADDY53, Mar 11, 2014.

1. BIGREDDADDY53

BIGREDDADDY53 Rockstar 100 Posts

I have 2003 Tahoe Lt with the Z55 option. I was rear ended about six months ago and the compressor has not started since, I took it to the body shop to get the rear bumper replaced and the body guy told me the compressor was rusted solid and the shocks are at full lift. To replace the compressor and shocks will cost $1400 for just the parts. Does anyone know what will be involved in it, is it worth keeping or can I save some money and put good shocks in. Any thoughts would be very helpful. Thanks Eric
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

3. BIGREDDADDY53

Thanks Pikey: Looks like I will start with the compressor and the next month move to shocks. I will keep it stock as it looks like about the same as a conversion. RockAuto seems to have good prices even with the shipping cost all the way up here. But Thanks for your input as always, Pikey, Take care
  4. M-technik-3

M-technik-3 Member

We went this route with our 02 Tahoe LT autoride but used Monroes which kept the rear air shocks and deleted the fronts with standard shocks. We have dumped the fronts and now are using Bilsteins, the truck drives so much better.
  5. Pikey

I had monroe's mono tube shocks on my truck. They lasted less than a year.
  6. BIGREDDADDY53

I came across Blistein air shocks for the rear for about$409. a pair(1aauto) plus the air compressor($304). They want $1000. for the rearplus the air compressor here in Vancouver. The 1aauto is about $200 cheaperthan rock auto, But the rock auto has Monroe direct replacement. I heard thatthe listens have a very nice ride, whatdo you think Pikey?. Thanks Guys, Eric
  7. Pikey

in my opinion, I would do away with the air system completely. I love the way my bilsteins ride. you could do the switch bilsteins with new springs for considerably less than just the replacement compressor. I have seen at least one other member here that has gone thru multiple compressors because of the harsh salt laden roads he drives on. It is just not worth it in my opinion. The bilsteins might not ride as soft as the air shocks. But, with shocks you have to pick one thing or the other. You can have a really nice ride and give up control or you can have ultimate control and give up ride quality. I feel as if bilstein offer a happy median between the two. my truck handles and rides much better than it did with the worn out stock shocks
  8. BIGREDDADDY53

Thanks for the input Pikey but I think that putting in spring coils may be beyond my skill level. I seem to be ok with R&R but putting in something that never had it would be beyond my skill level. I would like to see coils and shocks in makes more sense but I would have to pay to get them done. Thanks ,Eric
  9. Pikey

I am pretty sure that the perches are on the axle and frame already. I think that there are springs there already. so basically you would just remove the old ones and put the new ones in. you just take off the shocks and drop the rear axle enough that you can pull the spring out
  10. BIGREDDADDY53

Well that changes things, If it dries up enough to jackthe truck and take a look as I have to figure out why I have no emergencyBrakes. The back plates are shot an I have the two piece unit. But I like theair shocks in the back as I have to load the truck full at least 3 times a monthand need the auto leave l but would like better units in the front. ThanksPikey.