1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

coolant leak near rear of the Engine?

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by gartnert1, Apr 19, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. gartnert1

gartnert1 New Member

Hey guys, I just bought my S10 a couple weeks ago, everything has been working great. About a week ago I started smelling rediator fluid whenever I got out of the truck, I checked under the radiator and i saw no leaks. Later I checked behind the front tires and near the transmission case there was a small buildup of radiator fluid, the leak is small and I was wondering if anyone knows what it could be from? maybe the heater core hoses?

Thanks

2. BASSIST

BASSIST Rockstar 100 Posts

Pressurise the coolant system. Check the hoses and intake gasket

3. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I had a leak similar to this. Mine was on a 350R V8 in a '96 model Silverado. It was a gasket failure at the back of the intake manifold. If yours is a 4.3L it could be the same thing. Good luck!

4. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I am going to vote "Intake Gasket". It is common on these engines. DO pressurize the system and look for leaks just the same. Look at the top of the engine along the valve cover and intake to see if you see anything there. Use a mirror to look at the top back corner of the engine to see if it is running down the block.

5. Revredneck

Revredneck Rockstar 100 Posts

What year and what engine do you have?

6. Mechnix

Mechnix New Member

The 2.2 has a tendency to blow head gaskets

7. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I wanna vote water pump gasket/water pump...mine went out on my 03 silverado and i was wondering intake gasket cuz coolant was all over the transmission...i ended of taking the water pump off and the gasket was shot...just throwing that out there...driving down the road the wind will blow the coolant backwards towards the transmission,etc.