1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

coolant leak...

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by OkieMike, Feb 1, 2008.

1. OkieMike

OkieMike New Member

The last time I had my 2000 Silverado (4.3 Litre) in the dealership for some work, I was told that my lower intake manifold gasket was leaking. they said it is a "very slow" leak. Is this something to be majorly worried about? I have done majority maintenance/repairs on my truck myself, but I don't think I should try this one. Is it as simple as putting in a bottle of leakstop?:shocked: Or should I have the gasket replaced? Or just leave it alone?

Thanks,

OkieMike
  2. zmor41

zmor41 New Member

I have same trouble, what did you wind up doing after all?
  3. jrylands

jrylands New Member

stop leak isnt an answer for any thing
  4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

You will want to do intake gaskets, really it isnt to bad of a job. But never ever ever put stop leak into the radiator, unless it is a last resort to get you home out of the woods.. And then you will want to flush it immediately. It will clog up your entire system.
  5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

X2 on the stop leak, do not use.
  6. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Like all said on the stop leak.I carry it when on a long trip as a just in case-limp home measure.
    It probably works best when the hole is in metal-like an old beat up radiator in an old motor you plan to switch out soon.

I had just the sort of leak you describe-it was leaking toward to back-to the outside-dripping backwards.

Don't delay too long on the repair-check your oil and coolant frequently if you delay-look for cloudy "stuff"