Coolant leak

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by walterc, Mar 2, 2010.

1. walterc

walterc New Member

I have a 1995 Silverado with 210k miles. It's been a really good truck until this morning.

Driving toward work it started overheating and only cold air from the heater. "low coolant" I say to myself. I turn around (that's how fast the trouble started) and got it back into the garage. Open the hood, nothing in the reservoir, open the radiator, no coolant. :shocked: Add some 50/50 and start looking for leaks. Nothing on top. So I look underneath and find a fairly steady drip from just behind the oil pan. So I crawl under, with the old girl still running, and find coolant dripping out from the starter hold down bolts, and from under the torqu converter cowl (that piece of metal that covers the ring gear).

So I check the exhaust, no smoke, no water. I check the oil, no milkyness.

So, does anyone know if this is a cracked head?, block? or something else? And is it something that a product like Steel Seal will take care of or am I looking at a rebuild/replace situation?

With 200k+ miles, and 15 years old, I'm not sure I want to put a bunch more money into it, but until the government gets out of the manufacturing business, I can't buy a new GM or Chrysler (my personal aversion to doing business with government entities). And I've never been a big fan of Fords. I guess I could look around for a PGO (Pre Gov't Owned) model with fairly low mileage. But still . . .

So andy ideas?

Thanks!!

2. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

On the '96 I used to have, the coolant leak was at the back of the intake manifold and it ran down the back of the motor around the bell housing. Mine lasted about 100k miles and then as soon as I got it repaired the water pump died. That might be the same place yours is leaking. Good luck!

3. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Yep..Intake most likely..I've changed a few now. Depends how hot ya got it....Goodluck.

4. walterc

walterc New Member

Hadn't thought of the intake manifold. I'll give it a look. I also had a friend suggest that there may be one or two freeze plugs on the back side of the engine. It would seem to me that I would need to pull the engine and/or the tran to change those.

I'm gonna hope for the intake manifold.

Thanks

5. walterc

walterc New Member

Well, turns out it was a fitting on the intake manifold. At least that's what the guy at the shop I took it to said. Due to time constraints and a real need for the truck, I paid the guy $200 to change the fiting and refill it with antifreeze.

6. zmor41

zmor41 New Member

Do you know where exactly this fitting is located on the manifold, can you see it, or do I need special tool? I'm having same leak trouble. Appreciate any response or info.