1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Coolant Leak

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by WATahoe, Mar 3, 2012.

1. WATahoe

WATahoe New Member

So I have a coolant leak on the wife's Tahoe. It looks like it's coming from the very bottom corner of the passenger side front engine cover where it meets up with the oil pan. Any one on here know what that's all about? Are there a couple freeze plugs up behind the engine cover that could be causing this? What else might be up in there causing this leak. It doesn't look to be coming from up above that juncture, like where the heater hoses go into the engine or from the water pump. Engine is a 5.3 in a 2001 Tahoe with 90K on it. Any help from the GM Techs on here would be great. Thanks for your time.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  2. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Well, it's really hard to say without looking at it but I would think either a heater hose, bottom radiator hose or water pump. I really haven't heard of freeze plugs going out on those but I would bet it's a hose or water pump. Good luck, I hope this helps.
  3. mljjones67

mljjones67 New Member

My 2002 Tahoe leaks out of the weep hole. Very common! I need to get it replaced here soon. Its been leaking since 2005. lol
  4. dedmon27

dedmon27 Rockstar 100 Posts

Passenger side near the oil pan is the bottom side of the water pump. The thermostat gasket is also near there.