1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Coolant leaking by starter

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Gary1956, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Gary1956

Gary1956 New Member

Hi,

I just signed up to the forum as I have a little problem with my S10 and was hoping someone could give me some advice as to what the problem is as I sure can't see it.

I have a 2002 S10 (automatic) with about 145K on it. Last Saturday when I pulled into the gas station to fill it, I noticed steam. Looking under the truck, there was coolant dripping on the exhaust pipe.

After I got back home, I jacked the front end up and looking from above and below (engine running), I couldn't see where the coolant was coming from. I wiped off the starter as that was where the coolant was dripping from and sure enough it started flowing down the side of the starter again.

From this far back on the engine, does anyone has a guess as to where the leak is coming from? Heater hose, freeze plug? I guess it could be like a leaking roof - where the water is dripping may not necessarily be where the hole is......

It seems to only leak 'under pressure'. I put a pan under it to catch the fluid but the dripping eventually stops.

I do some of my own work on the truck (transmission fluid change, oil change, brakes, shocks, etc) but I kind of wanted to ask about this so I have an idea where to start. Haven't done a pressure test, that is probably the first thing I should do, but any ideas of what is "probably" the source of the leak?

Thanks in advance.

Gary
  2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Moved thread to correct section as this should help in getting more responses, faster.

Welcome to the Club and I hope your problem has an easy and/or inexpensive answer.
  3. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I'd be guessing, but maybe a frost plug.

Pressure testers are worth their weight in gold for this sort of thing because you can pressurize the water jacket while the truck is cold and engine stopped and poke around without hurting yourself on hot or moving parts. I have one and use it all the time for this sort of stuff.
  4. JTward1

JTward1 Member

I think your freeze plug towards the back of the engine has rusted out. ( not that uncommon on an engine that old) You most like need to disconnect the batter, remover the starter and get some shop towels and wipe down the side of the engine where the starter, Passengers side, and see what condition all of the freeze out plugs are in. most likely if one has rotted away, the others aren't far behind. Use a big screw driver and knock it through the bad plug and gently pry it out, get new ones as in what ever size the other ae, just gently tap the new plug in and if it's not too hard to see, push it in till the rim of the freeze-out plug is flush with the engine block. Good luck, not all that tough a job, but time consuming.

Oh, welcome to this forum.:great:
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  5. Gary1956

Gary1956 New Member

Thanks for the advice; guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend....... Too bad GM put the exhaust pipe in the way of dropping out the starter. Hope those nuts cooperate........
  6. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I believe the coolant temp sensor may back there too, I know it's back that way on the vortec 5.7,
  7. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Be sure the lower intake is dry before you take things apart. The 4.3's are well known for lower intakes leaking pretty steady when hot.