Coolant Level Sensor

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Fast Bill, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Fast Bill

Fast Bill New Member

Hello all, I'm new to this Club and seeking some of your collective wisdom. My 1989 Chevy Silverado K1500 with the 350 engine is showing a CEL indicating Low Coolant Level. My Chilton Manual seems to indicate it does not exist with that engine. I have searched quite a few auto parts sources online and only NAPA lists the sensor for this truck. If there is a Low Coolant Sensor it is not in the coolant recovery tank and not on the back or ends of the radiator. (I have not looked at the front of the radiator yet). Can someone out there help to eliminate my confusion? Does this truck have one and where is it located?

Thanks,
    Bill

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Any I have ever seen are in the recovery tank.

Shouldn't be hard to find.

Did you check the level of the coolant?

3. Fast Bill

Fast Bill New Member

Yeah, I agree, it shouldn't be hard to find. It is not in the tank, there are no wires running to it.

4. Fast Bill

Fast Bill New Member

The radiator is full to the top and the recovery tank is above the cold line when cold.

5. RayVoy

But your seeing a low coolant message.

EDIT
    I just reread your 1st post. The CEL is on, I don't think OBD 1 had a code for low coolant level.
    There is a code for low coolant temp.

What code are you reading?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  6. Fast Bill

Fast Bill New Member

I am using an AutoXray 6000 and the display is saying Low Coolant Level. I'll scan it again, hopefully tomorrow, to see if there is a code number as well.

7. thegawd

thegawd Rockstar 2 Years 1000 Posts

I love your signature there Bill, HAHAHAHA its too true! :D

Sorry I cant help ya...

Al

8. Fast Bill

Fast Bill New Member

Thanks Al!

thegawd likes this.
  9. RayVoy

So Bill, that is an impressive scanner; but I'm having a problem believing what your seeing.
    Here is a list of GM OBD 1 codes:
    http://repairpal.com/gm-obd-I-code-chart

As you can see, no low coolant error.

Perhaps the old fashion "paper clip" read is in order to retrieve the code that is causing the CEL is lite.

10. Fast Bill

Fast Bill New Member

Thanks for the list Ray, and I agree with what you said about the scanner. Unfortunately it's wording for #15, which I reexamined this morning, was somewhat convoluted lending towards misinterpretation. Next step is to replace the engine coolant temperature sensor. There appears to be a plethora of replacement sensor connectors on the market. Considering the age of the vehicle I might replace that along with the sensor since either one might be the culprit. Thanks for the assist.