Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Coolant loss-BAD CAP.

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by phoebeisis, Apr 16, 2009.

1. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've been puzzled about a slight/slow loss of coolant over the last 4-6 months. I can kinda smell coolant under the hood, and even immediately after shutting it down existing the driver's seat.

I know this cap-the upper gasket-looks bad, I'm going to replace it no matter what- but I'm posting it as a heads up to check the obvious when your coolant level is dropping.

I'm not 100% sure it is the cap, but since it is a $5 and 1 minute fix, it is a good place to start.It was kinda foolish to not have checked the obvious-guess I was looking for something harder-maybe I got lucky this time.

Charlie
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  2. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Very good point!

When I went looking for my burb I looked in the rad to check the level and it was nuts how many were shredded and missing gasket and no one even thinks twice about it.
  3. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Let us know if you notice that your coolant level stops dropping - or drops not as fast. Thanks for the tip!
  4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

DR Zero,

I have no idea why I missed the most obvious thing. I had an obvious radiator leak when I got it-could see where it was leaking, and then I developed an obvious water pump leak-could see it leaking.

Maybe the obvious leaks-from slightly expensive parts ($155 and $60 + few hours each) kinda fixed my mind on hard to replace-hoses, heater core etc) parts.

I just ignored the easiest, cheapest part despite having taken the cap off, and kinda looking at it-many times.
    I've been smelling that slight coolant odor for quite a while.

Yep,I bet you are right-folks never bother really looking at the cap. We/I are biased to looking at hard to repair expensive fixes! Of course, with a Suburban hard to replace expensive is relative.Suburban parts are really cheap relative to foreign parts-you can get them almost anywhere at anytime.

Springthing-I'll keep you guys posted.In about 10-14 days I'll have another 200+ miles on it-plenty enough to tell if it is "cured"

We are going on a long trip soon-so it better be in shape,

Thanks, Charlie
  5. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Definitely keep us posted!

I remember someone talking about the cooling system and they said that once you fix the cause of the obvious leak you will start to find others. The reasoning is the system is all about the same age and there is going to be wear so as this happens the small leaks let pressure off of the system so you don't notice them.
    When you replace say a cap that is now holding pressure or a water pump that is now pumping harder or fix the rad that was leaking the new stress will cause the other faults to show up or fail.

This is one of the reasons when the wife's Yukon was in the shop getting a new rad we got a new water pump, thermostat, rad cap and intake gaskets. The labor was less since there was lots already apart and the overall cost is cheap insurance for another 100,000 miles.

If I can find the old cap Ill take a pic I was shocked how bad it was looking but no more dexcool either so that will help alot.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2009