1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Coolant Loss

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Chewbacon, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Chewbacon

Chewbacon New Member

Hi all, I need a little advice regarding coolant loss.

Recently my truck seems to losing/leaking coolant. Hoses and radiator seem to be fine, coolant appears to be dripping from under the engine.
    I have enclosed a pic, showing (excuse my ignorance here please) the hole where the fluid appears to be dripping from. Should this hole have a plug? Should coolant even be in there?

Truck is a 95 Silverado 5.7l

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

that hole should have a plug in theory but from the pic it hard to tell where that is. also if it seems your having coolant problems and the truck is running hot alot of the time your tempture control valve my be failing mine failed on my tahoe last summer leaked out all the coolant luckly it blew while in a parking look so the truck didnt over heat.
  3. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

Can you take the same picture but zoom out a lil bit. It'd give us an idea what we're looking at.
  4. Chewbacon

Chewbacon New Member

Thanks for replying guys, have managed to get a more zoomed out pic. The top of the pic is towards the front of the truck and the oil filter is visible in this one. The hole is in the middle of the part at the top, with 3 green blobs of coolant around it. (looks like I may have a little oil leaking on the part next to the filter too? :s)
    IMGP0052.jpg
  5. Conlan Rose

what type of coolant do you have? and i have no clue where its leaking from
  6. Chewbacon

Chewbacon New Member

The coolant is Prestone 50/50
  7. Conlan Rose

ok explains y its green. i use gm dexcool in my truck. its really hard to tell where it might be leaking from im going to look over so of my diagrams from my repir manual maybe it will have something.
  8. Chewbacon

Chewbacon New Member

Thanks :) I have been in my Haynes manual, but it is one of the unlabled areas of the engine in the main photos.
  9. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

While Conlan is looking, you may want to give this one a shot as well. You'll probably end up with the same result as the Haynes, but may be worth a try.

You'll find the manual's link on post #61. For some reason if you just save the link it eventually locks you out, but if you click from the thread you should get in every time.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...hlight=chilton
  10. Chewbacon

Chewbacon New Member

thanks for that advice, will look into the Chilton site.

Got to log out now, anniversary dinner, .... apparently more important than my truck in the eyes of the missus.