1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Coolant on garage floor under power steering pump

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by bazar01, Jan 15, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. bazar01

bazar01 New Member 100 Posts

Trying to diagnose low coolant alarm every 2 weeks. This morning red coolant finally showed up on the garage floor. Two quarter size drops in the area under the power steering pump. I can see droplets forming under the round steel bar under the engine crank pulley (not sure if sway bar or steering?). Not sure if it is the water pump. I shined a light from under the front bumper towards the water pump area and could not find any wet spot.
    I will investigate further this weekend and keep you all posted.
    Any other cooling component that is prone to leak in the same vicinity?

Thanks.
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Well depending on age and wear hoses, the radiator, heater lines all can leak. In my case my radiator was leaking, but it can be anything. Run the truck and see if it comes out anywhere.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If it is dripping on that cross member chances are it is coming from the waterpump area. Rent a pressure tester and check it. On my 03 the waterpump gasket started leaking. It only leaked when it was running and warm. I replaced the pump also. I did not see a point in pulling it all apart and then have the pump fail soon after.
  4. bazar01

This is on my 2001 burb with 167k miles.

It only leaks after sitting overnight in the garage. it does not leak when running and up to temperature.

I will park it inside the garage with the front towards the garage door so I can have natural lighting.

I plan to remove this weekend the fan shroud and fan clutch so I can have a better view of the WP, hoses, radiator and front of engine.

Thanks.
  5. Pikey

Chances are that if you pressure test it the leak will become very evident. It will save you time and give you results.
  6. a.graham52

a.graham52 New Member 100 Posts

is it RED or ORANGE? red fluid could possibly be a tranny fluid leak.
  7. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I agree with [MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION] pressure test it. I didn't pressure test with my leak because it was obvious and you could see where it was damp. Removing the shroud will give you the best view, please take pics for us so we can see.
  8. bazar01

I touched the fluid, it is not power steering fluid. I am sure it is coolant.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok. I will pressure test it. Do you pressurize from the expansion tank? Where is the test point?

- - - Updated - - -

I will definitely post pics.

I will pressure test first and see if I can find out where it was leaking from then remove shroud and fan clutch if needed.
  9. Pikey

I have to say that the hardest part of changing the pump on my 03 was getting the clutch fan to break loose.
  10. bazar01

I just replaced my fan clutch sometime last year. I made my own pulley holding tool from a 2-inch flat bar and broke it loose. I hope I can find the tool in my stack. Also, now I don't remember if it is left hand thread or not, it has been a while.