1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Coolant/Radiator or Thermostat Issue

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by motor1, Feb 18, 2014.

Random Gallery Photos

1. motor1

motor1 New Member

Hi, my name is Doug. I'm new to the forums. My girlfriend has an s10 with some sort of leak/drainage problem. When we fill up the coolant reservoir, in a short period of time it's empty. The radiator seems to stay full though. I'm not certain how it works exactly, but I do know the reservoir isn't supposed to be empty that quickly. I'm worried this may cause pressure issues that could damage the radiator. Any information on this will be a great help.

-p.s. if the thermostat is not malfunctioning then the engine temperature is doing ok. -no overheating
  2. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member 100 Posts

Look for a puddle under the car when parked. It helps to put down a clean sheet of cardboard.

A radiator pressure tester makes these problems much easier to find, best $70 you'll spend

If there are no visible leaks you probably have a leaking head gasket.
  3. motor1

motor1 New Member

Thanks a bunch.
  4. edsmagichands

edsmagichands Member 100 Posts

There are numerous reasons for what you describe. head gasket leak is a possibility,but a a major repair. give us the engine size, year & mileage and perhaps we can help you narrow it down. DON'T GUESS, TEST!
  5. wags391

wags391 New Member

Also, instead of buying, rent. Rent tools at an auto parts store.

Wags