1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Coolant Recovery Tank Issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by mavrickwax, Mar 20, 2008.

1. mavrickwax

mavrickwax New Member

Anyone else have this problem, and better yet, how to solve it?

My current ride is a GMC c3500 crew cab rig, 7.4 liter motor. My issue is the coolant recovery tank -- it seems to be leaking from the top cap area. Coolant seems to be weeping out of the top area with regular driving of the truck. I don't know about the rest of you truckers, but it's becoming a chore to clean the coolant recovery tank & surrounding area every few days.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, and if so, how to solve it? My option so far is to replace the coolant recover tank completely with a sealed unit from Summit Racing. Does anyone else have a better suggestion?

Any input is highly appreciated.
  2. crane3447

crane3447 Rockstar 100 Posts

I've got one of these motors now and have had onother in the past. I always seemed to have a little leakage on the overfill tank with both trucks. But if you are having to clean up a mess that seems a bit much. It may sound like a silly question but your not running to much coolant are you?
  3. mavrickwax

mavrickwax New Member

Good morning,

Initially it would seem that too much coolant would be the culprit, but I have checked the level in the tank both hot and cold, and it's right on the money. I think the problem occurs on any kind of driving, that the sloshing around of the coolant in the tank somehow manages to direct some flow up to the cap and it seems to seep through. I've had an s-10 in the past, and it's recovery tank seems a bit more tight than my current ride, since it's cap was a screw on plastic (threads both on the cap & the recovery tank neck). I may go this way....swapping out the current tank for an s10 recovery tank, just so the area is clean.

The other alternative would be to buy a sealed unit from Summit Racing, but I'm not quite sure if that sealed tank would place too much pressure on the cooling system.

Any thoughts?
  4. crane3447

crane3447 Rockstar 100 Posts

Well if your like me, and by the pic of your truck you are, you like to do what ever you can to keep your ride in tip-top shape. If it bugs you that much, and cost is not an issue, go for it. But I would still ask around at some local dealer/parts/custom shops to see if any has thought of a way to solve the problem. All of those 350's built have the same set up, so sombody must have thought of a solution.