Coolant temp questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by SEMiller, Dec 4, 2013.

1. SEMiller

SEMiller New Member

Several months ago I started having a slow lower radiator hose leak and my mechanic said it could wait repair until the winter, so long as I occasionally topped of the coolant, which I did. I recently changed the hose and had a coolant flush as well. I have an ultragauge and before the hose change and flush my temp ran between 210-230 and after it is between 190-195. My 2 questions are is that normal and did I do any damage to my motor by running it warm for a few months.

2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Ls engines come standard with a 195 thermostat, so you are running perfect now.

3. redvett

redvett Member 100 Posts

"LS" trucks came OEM with 187F stat not 195F.

4. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

the reason you ran at the above normal temp was because you had a leak. your mechanic is not too smart ....

any leaks must be stopped quickly , with no pressure the coolant will boil and the water pump pumps water not air bubbles. also air bubbles doe not conduct heat very well. by delaying the hose/leak repair you did some damage to the engine. perhaps not enough to notice..

any time you see that temp wander you have a leak ..the temp should lock in at the 195-200 deg f mark.

if it is very cold below 20 deg f it may with the heater on max drop to 190 deg f.

5. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Never allow a leak to linger on, nothing good will come from that, ever...I would find a new mechanic, your seems to have a leak.

6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Agree 100%/ Find a new mechanic. that hose should have been changed asap.

7. SEMiller

SEMiller New Member

Leak repaired, coolant flush done as I noted in my original post. The question was what damage to the motor could I have done by running between 210-230 (mostly around 210 but occasionally crept up to about 230).Hopefully the damage if any was slight as noted above. Everything seems to be fine now.

8. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

the tranny fluid gets damaged from the higher temps.. drop the pan clean and replace fluid / filter...

9. SEMiller

SEMiller New Member

Will do, thanks for that advice.