1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Coolant temp questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by SEMiller, Dec 4, 2013.

1. SEMiller

SEMiller New Member

Several months ago I started having a slow lower radiator hose leak and my mechanic said it could wait repair until the winter, so long as I occasionally topped of the coolant, which I did. I recently changed the hose and had a coolant flush as well. I have an ultragauge and before the hose change and flush my temp ran between 210-230 and after it is between 190-195. My 2 questions are is that normal and did I do any damage to my motor by running it warm for a few months.
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Ls engines come standard with a 195 thermostat, so you are running perfect now.
  3. redvett

redvett Member

"LS" trucks came OEM with 187F stat not 195F.
  4. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

the reason you ran at the above normal temp was because you had a leak. your mechanic is not too smart ....

any leaks must be stopped quickly , with no pressure the coolant will boil and the water pump pumps water not air bubbles. also air bubbles doe not conduct heat very well. by delaying the hose/leak repair you did some damage to the engine. perhaps not enough to notice..

any time you see that temp wander you have a leak ..the temp should lock in at the 195-200 deg f mark.

if it is very cold below 20 deg f it may with the heater on max drop to 190 deg f.
  5. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 100 Posts

Never allow a leak to linger on, nothing good will come from that, ever...I would find a new mechanic, your seems to have a leak.
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Agree 100%/ Find a new mechanic. that hose should have been changed asap.
  7. SEMiller

SEMiller New Member

Leak repaired, coolant flush done as I noted in my original post. The question was what damage to the motor could I have done by running between 210-230 (mostly around 210 but occasionally crept up to about 230).Hopefully the damage if any was slight as noted above. Everything seems to be fine now.
  8. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

the tranny fluid gets damaged from the higher temps.. drop the pan clean and replace fluid / filter...
  9. SEMiller

SEMiller New Member

Will do, thanks for that advice.