Coolant temp sensor location 2005 5.3L

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Pikey, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have a 2005 yukon xl 5.3L. The temp on the dash reads normal but according to my scan tool the TOT temp is reading at -40f. from what I read there are 2 sensors. I know where the one for the temp gauge is on the driver;s side of the block near the front. Does anyone know where the second one is located?
    Thanks.

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Usually one is by the upper radiator hose outlet on the engine, at least for most of the GM engines I've looked up info on. It is also possible that there is one in a mirrored location from the driver side one on the pass side. On my 5.7 there is one near the header on the driver side and one the pass side in about the same place there is a blocked off port that would've been used for aux fan temp.

3. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

the ECT is at the driver side next to the #1 spark plug on the head . -40 deg f means the circuit is open [max resistance]

normal engine temp should read about 170-230 ohms ... don't remove first check the wiring connector and the resistance of the sensor with the engine hot .. usually the pins get corroded ...

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

the temp gauge is reading normal. The -40 if coming up on my scan tool

5. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Pikey, try your scan tool on another truck, it just might be out of calibration. An ohm meter on the temp sensor is a sure thing.