coolant temp sensor

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by engineerbrian, Jul 14, 2010.

1. engineerbrian

engineerbrian Member

So i was changing out my negative battery cable today and bumped my hand on the coolant sensor that threads into the intake manifold, and i guess after 15 years the plastic became brittle so it snapped right off. from what i can tell this just sends a signal to my dashboard for my temp reading.

Does anyone know if i can leave it unhooked and still drive the truck until i get a new sensor this weekend? Also, what are my chances of actually being able to unthread the sensor after 15 years?

Thanks
    Brian

2. hundojoe

hundojoe Rockstar 100 Posts

Its prolly not going to run very well, im sure it will throw a check engine light and run in limp mode. the coolant sensor dosent just run the gauge it also tells the computer how hot the motor is obviously, but it also has to do with timing and fuel trim.

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

You broke the Sensor and not the switch right?? the sensor will make your truck run rough since it sends the temp to the computer to determin your fuel trims, and the switch mounted in between the #1 and #3 cylinders on the head. The Switch is what sends the signal to the guage on your dash.. It wont even really go into limp mode it wil just run really really rough.. So id advise that you dont drive it.. The switch should be about $15 mabey less.. I just had to replace mine on my old truck.. And it is a brass fitting it will actually come out quite easly.

4. engineerbrian

engineerbrian Member

Thanks for the info guys. I changed it out tonight with no issues.