1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

coolant usage

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by mines68, Jan 7, 2010.

1. mines68

mines68 New Member

01 5.3l is using coolant but no visible sign of leak . what could this be?
  2. TMRuiz

TMRuiz Rockstar 100 Posts

You could have a blown head gasket, and the coolant is being blown out the exhaust. Did you check your oil to see if it has a milky look to it? If it does you have found where your coolant is going.
  3. mines68

mines68 New Member

oil looks fine
  4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i would say more likely the intake gasket, regardless which gasket it is, replace them ALL when you find the culprit. No point in doing one then having to do it again
  5. Viper

Viper Rockstar 100 Posts

you would be able to smell coolant in the exhaust, just place your hand by the tail pipe for a few seconds with the engine running and then smell your hand, you'll know if it doesn't smell right, also might even be your rad cap, not holding pressure and letting the coolant boil over.
  6. Gryphon

Gryphon Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm running through the same thing right now. My '99 5.7 has been slowly loosing fluid with none of the normal signs of leaking gaskets. I think I have it close now...we moved and I now park on clean, white concrete. Now I am finding small, intermittent puddles. I have yet to find the actual leak; it's running along the chassis from somewhere other than where it drips from. It's slow enough I just can not find it....yet.
  7. novaracer

novaracer New Member

My 99 Suburban developed a leak in intake gasket above #1 cylinder. The coolant level kept slowly getting low and no sign of a leak. It was dribbling down the front of the bl;ock and the heat of the engine was evaporating most of it. If you pressurize the coolant system with a tester ( available at most auto parts suppliers, buy or rent) the leak will show up
  8. itsabowtime2

itsabowtime2 Rockstar

Just had the same situation with my 2002 5.3L. It was a weep hole on the water pump causing mine. It was impossible to see w/o lifting the truck. New H20 pump is about $130.00. I did my belts as well.
  9. azdrtdog

azdrtdog Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

My old 5.7 was always down a little on water when i checked it finally found it after i pulled the motor the manifold was weeping right next to the #2 intake runner down into valley it built up a little oil slime slide right were it ran off the head and ran down valley oil was alway clean or black never saw any signs
  10. weekend wrench

weekend wrench New Member

My 2002 5.3L leak was also a weep at the water pump; very hard to locate. New water pump, no leak, no harm done. Glad it wasn't a head gasket.