Cooper Discoverer STT, Firestone Destination MT, or Wrangler MT??

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by RPGeorge20, Oct 12, 2010.

1. RPGeorge20

RPGeorge20 New Member

So my Kumho's are almost ready to be replaced and I have been doing some serious searching for new ones and have decided between Discoverer STT, Destination MT, or wrangler MT.

I have a 2009 Chevy Silverado crew with a 2.25" leveling kit. I have aftermarket rims now but was wanting to put my stock 18x9 on with the new tires.

Discoverer STT: I wanted to go 325/60/18 which is a 33.4 inch tire but not sure about the fit... If they rub a little that is fine with me. I have heard really good things about them except on tread life.

Destination MT: If i went with these I wanted to go 285/65/18 which is 32.8. I have heard very good things about these and tread life lasts a long time.

Wrangler MT: If i went here I would prolly go 285/65/18. I have heard these are ruff and dont have good tractoin on wet pavement and also slick over in the mud.

I am really leaning toward the Cooper's but what do yall think? Also will the Coopers fit??

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

In my tire searches and looking at the cooper st most of the reviews were on the stt. these got very good reviews with the jeepers and others. even they were claiming close to 40k which for a mud terrain is really good. I think the stt look really good and those would be my choice if I didnt drive 60 miles a day 6 days a week (plus the wife doesnt really want the typical MT hum),

3. RPGeorge20

RPGeorge20 New Member

Personally i like the humm...it lets you know something is there ha but my kumho road venture Mt's have close to 35k and i can get another 5k on them.

Do you think they will fit without alot of rub on my stock rims??

4. dsfloyd

I like the hum to but gotta keep the wife happy:lol:. not sure if they would rub. how wide are your rims. I am running 12.5 wide tires on the stock 6.5 but I have a 6" lift. those will be about 13.5" wide. I am buying tires soon and going to an 8" rim. if you go to the 305/60/18 you would still be in what is considered a 33" tire (32.66) but it would be only 12"inches wide. this would fit on an 8" rim (they recomend 8.5-11 but 8 is normal for 12.5 inch wide tire). the 325 is recommended on a 9-12" rim. this should also keep it from rubbing. I ran my kumhos on the 6.5 inch stock wheel but it definately got the middles worn a little quicker. I will only get about 30k on my at. I would have to run them way to low psi wise in the back to wear even. plus it really makes the sidewalls flex so it gives it a bouncy ride. the only other differences in the two sizes of the stt is that the 305 has 20.5/32 tread instead of 23/32 and a max load of 3195 instead of 3525 even though they are both listed as E rated.

5. RPGeorge20

RPGeorge20 New Member

my aftermarket are 9.5 wide and my stock are 8....my kumho's only rubbed a very little when i turned sharp all the way and they were 33x12.5...i didnt want to go any smaller then the 32.8...my buddy has 305/70/17 wrangler MT's on his truck just like mine which is 33.5 inch tire and it doesnt rub much either that i know of..

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  6. dsfloyd

with the stock wheels it may be the width that causes it to rub more. but try the 325's they are definately a beefier tire, but cant tell you how bad they would rub. hopefully someone with a similar setup can let you know. maybe just do a search on here for 325 tires on here. may help.

7. RPGeorge20

RPGeorge20 New Member

I do have to say this...two of my buddies have NBS's both with stock rims and both with 285/65/18 nitto trail grapplers and both of them say the tires rub when your turning sharp and hitting bumps

8. dsfloyd

I would think that the after market wheels may be better. but it really depends on the difiference in the backspacing and offset of the two. I dont think the stock ones will work if there was already rubbing with a skinnier tire.

9. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Do either of them have level kits?? With a level kit 285's should not rub.

10. Fan45acp

Fan45acp Member

OK I have a 09 ECSB with a 2"Rough Country level.The tires are Cooper Zeon LTZ 275-60-20.The tires are about 32 1/4" mounted on the truck.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]