GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Cost of steering box replacement 1998 k1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Kraziken, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Kraziken

Kraziken New Member

Late this summer, I worked on replacing my idler and pitman arms on my Suburban. At the time I should have gone ahead and replaced my steering box, but I didn't think it was as worn. It wasn't until after I had the new pitman, idler installed and had a new alignment that I realized the gear box is way too loose.

I've played with the adjustment settings, but the rig still just wanders too much. I really didn't want to get back under my rig now that fall is here (working in the rain). I got a quote for around $900? (around $500 for the part) which leaves the service cost around $400. Is this reasonable?

I'm considering ordering the part seperately which will save me a little. I still don't want to do it, but if it will save me $400 I think I probably will suffer working in the rain.
  2. njblazer

njblazer New Member

does it feel like there is a loose spot or dead spot while driving ?
  3. Kraziken

Kraziken New Member

Yes, definately a loose spot. Requires lots of recorrecting just to go straight. I adjusted the screw, but that just made it more jerky to control the car. Wife said it was like speed wobbling on the freeway. I loosened it back up. I have oversized tires so I'm sure the box is just worn.
  4. 4theluvofgold

4theluvofgold New Member

I've never had to deal with a steering issue. But the working in the weather does suck. Luckily it rains then dries up quick. Lets me know when it is time for a break. Trying to get the stuff done before the rain turns to slush that doesn't go away.
  5. njblazer

njblazer New Member

i had a similar problem with my 99 there is a solenoid on the back of the powersteering pump unplug it see if it gets better mine did
  6. croach1776

croach1776 New Member

I might have the same problem on my 96 Silverado with 5.7. I am hearing a high whine whenever I turn the steering wheel. I thought it might be the power steering pump but wouldnt that whine all the time whether I am turning the steering wheel or not. I am not losing any pwr steering fluid. The truck steering is a little lose, I had the front end replaced last year so it has improved but feel it should be tighter. Front shocks are about 3 years old and I only use it on the street. It also has 4" fabtech lift in front and shocks in back are air but not holding any air and will be replace.
  7. Joeairforce

Joeairforce New Member

Holy crap! :gasp: Where are ya? I'd do it for half that if you supplied the parts and if you were close....