1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

COTY: Well done, Chevrolet!!

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by McClintoc, Jan 13, 2014.

1. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I saw one of the stingrays on the road a couple days ago. The thing is sweet looking.
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

4. McClintoc

5. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Hard to believe a Truck with 370k recalls and has a software glitch starting them on fire is a truck of the year.. Just saying.
  6. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Just remember every Eco boost Ford has build has had issues with spontaneous ignition in the engine bay and they didn't find the issue until it began to happen to vehicles on the open road. At least GM found the issue quick and has a fix before any lives were lost or property damaged.
  7. the phantom

I agree but almost all trucks on the road should be considered not just the Ford, Chevy, ect. What about Honda or Toyota. Or are they not considered North American even though Honda (Ridgeline)is more North American assembled and/or made than my Silverado is?
  8. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

The award is based on the judgement of 50 journalists and their opinions on what is the best or most improved. The Ridgeline hasn't changed much in years so it would be out but the Tundra, Silverado, and a few SUVs that were redesigned are in the running. Tundra want even a finalist. Many journalists love both the new Vette and the new Silverado because the the new engines they have under the hood as well as the huge amount of interior upgrades and just the huge improvement GM made. I don't think the recall happened early enough to effect the judgement of anyone.

And going on how "American" a vehicle it now a days is very hard to tell. If its how North American it is then the Silverado, F-150 and Ram are close to tied because they are made mostly in the US and Canada. The Ridgeline may be assembled here but a lot of the parts start their life in Japan.
    I think my 96' is about 90-95% made in North America, but only 80% in the USA.
  9. the phantom

There are all kinds of write ups on how "American" or if you will "North American" vehicles are. I guess alot of it depends on personal opinion on what value is put on assembled here as apposed to where each and every part is made that makes up the vehicle and also where the "technology or engineering" for each make and/or model was created. I myself would put the most "American" Make and/or model is the manufacturer that puts the most of us "Americans" to work. But thats a whole other subject compared to what we are talking about here I guess.
    My Silverado was assembled and painted in Mexico and so far Ive seen a lot of parts that say canada and believe it or not China on it. I have yet to see a Made in the USA stamp on it but I havent looked for it really either.
  10. McClintoc

The "North American" part of the title has nothing to do with where the vehicle is made. It's more like "this panel of North American auto journalists chooses the XXX as the car of the year."

But, then again, there are plenty of Silverados made in Canada and Mexico...but that is still North America. :)