Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Could this be the alternator?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by EdPDX, Nov 30, 2010.

1. EdPDX

EdPDX Rockstar

Got back from the holiday road. I noticed a stutter during acceleration under load while pulling hills around 60 mph. Felt like momentary gas starvation. My alternator guage is wild- all over the map. My first Vortec and fuel injection so not sure what else it maybe. It is due for a tune-up.

Q1: Does it sound like a alternator going bad?

Q2:aNY IDEAS ON WHAT A DEALER WILL CHARGE FOR A STRAIGHT TUNE-UP?

98 K1500 sub. 5.7
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

With the alternator gauge going wild it sure sounds like the alternator. I went through several alternators on my '96 Burb before installing a aftermarket HD unit. When the alternator is not working right than it doesn't let the fuel pump get a full charge.
  3. Naptime

Naptime Rockstar 100 Posts

Sounds like a couple of things going on. Your stutter is classic fuel system issue. Probably pressure.
    Alternator gauge fluctuations. Start by checking the easy stuff. Like connections, and belt tension.

Might want to consider letting the dealer go ahead and do whatever service it's due for in addition to that tune.

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

Or that.........