1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Couple 1500 HD Issues

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by KS1500HD, Oct 9, 2010.

1. KS1500HD

KS1500HD New Member

Hey I have a couple issues that might have been talked about somewhere in this forum but could not find any posts. So I thought I might ask again

I have a 2002 1500 HD (6.0)
    First off when I start the truck it makes a strange whining noise for a second then stops. I usually notice it when it has sat for a while like overnight or after I get off work. It will make a slight squeak (like the belt is ready to be changed) then after a couple seconds here comes the whine. It sounds like an old door creaking open, then it stops.
    I had heard a fairly similar sound on a Mustang I owned and it was the trans oil pump, but this I am thinking it might be just the clutch fan.
    Any ideas? The sound only lasts 2 or 3 seconds then stops.

Secondly is a pretty noticable tapping sound from the passenger side of the engine.
    It will speed up as you slowly rev the motor. It sounds just like a lifter tapping but I have been told by a few people that it is actually something wrong with the converter (not the cat) the trans converter.
    At times it sounds like either rattling or like I mentioned a tapping sound.
    The truck has 108000 miles and is 4 wheel drive.
    Thanks for any advise.
  2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Hi KS, for these kind of noises you need to find someone you trust to start the truck and rev the engine for you while you lay under it and listen to the torque converter. See if you can determine IF that is where the noise is comeing from. I have had 3 noise issues with GM converters.

One was a converter balance weight comeing loose at one end and the centrifugal force bent it outward and it rubbed/clicked on every revolution. This sounded a lot like what you are describing in your rig. It made a tapping noise. The noise tempo increased as the engine rpm did, one for one.
    The second was a worn out flex plate that was weak and wimpy and flexed too much. It was rubbing on acceleration because it was just flexing too much for the allowable clearance.
    The third is also a flex plate issue and is the noise that they make when they are cracked, and is a metal on metal sound. Difficult to describe but more like metal being scraped on metel even though the cracks are small and the pieces can't move more than a few thousandths of an inch it was almost a continuous scrapeing noise when reving the engine.

Since your noises up front only last a few seconds you will have to have someone help you. Stand there and listen and try and locate the noises while someone else starts the truck. There are so many possibilities we can't deduce it by what you tell us you are hearing, it could be: belt, ac compressor, compressor clutch, alternator bearing, water pump bearing, clutch fan, idler pulley, belt adj. pulley, power steering etc. Good luck & keep us posted.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  3. KS1500HD

KS1500HD New Member

Thank you very much for the advise. Fortunatly I have a buddy who is also having the tapping issue on his suburban and is diagnosing as we speak...lol
    I am headed outside to work on it this morning and hopefully I will atleast have a diagnosis in a little while.
    Thanks again Stephan