Couple Maintenance Questions

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by jwco5.3, Jul 28, 2010.

1. jwco5.3

jwco5.3 Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey guys. I have a couple of questions. A few years back I owned an LS1 trans am, and have an extra set of spark plugs setting around for it. Would those fit in my 04 5.3 silverado?

Also, does anyone run Rotella in their gasser. My grandpa swears by it. I personally prefer Mobile 1. (this is more out of curiousity, I dont plan on switching oils).

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I think they would fit however the 5.3L prefers AC delco Plugs.. Best bet is to see if they are the same part Via calling a parts store and double checking part numbers.
    As for Rotella im not to sure to be honest. I know most of use use mobil, valvoline etc etc...

3. hundojoe

hundojoe Rockstar 100 Posts

Generally Diesel oils are higher viscosity like 15-40 or 20-50 weight, why would you need oil that thick? It will hurt your fuel milage. As far as your spark plugs go, Yes theroretically they will work but, your Trans am had a higher compression so the plugs are a little cooler in heat range to help fight off detenation, so for the realatively low cost for the correct plugs buy the ones that are an exact match.

4. murdog94

I think you can get rotella in the lower weight oils, plus if you have a tired older motor then the thicker oil will help. And the plugs i didnt even think about the compression ratio and heat. I only think about that on my sleds so thanks for reminding me as well joe........

5. jwco5.3

Thanks. Ya i'll prob just get rid of the spark plugs. I was unwilling to poor diesel oil in my motor. not knocking it, but I like my motor to much. I'll just stick with tried and true Mobile 1

6. murdog94

That is what i would do since its worked for you this long.

7. swedp

swedp Rockstar

oil for disels are proun to more force and 15-40 i used qauker state for years in my´s c20 trucks.after 350000km the engines were clean as new with regulary oil change.i feel these newer powerplants from GM handles syntetic well but i´ve just bought another 4.3 for fun and will try regulary mineral oil for testing,the engine need´s som overhaul sonner or later ,but i want to know what the lifters has to say about it.it´s the mowie´s it handles around.(joke). i drive big rig´s over here and scania v8 around 500 hp loves 15-40

8. jwco5.3

ya my 5.3 has about 500 hp.... minus a couple hundred :)