1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

couple of questions.

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by jcshipp, Jan 4, 2014.

1. jcshipp

jcshipp New Member

i bought my 1988 c1500 used, the radio has never worked. not a problem but i see all that space the stock radio takes and im thinkin what a waste. how do i remove the radio? and when i do is it possable to put a piece of smoked plexiglass in the hole and install a couple guges like oil and temp? dont trust factory guages that much. thanks for u guys help. jeff
  2. 66 chevyman

66 chevyman New Member

If it don't come out with a hammer....you need a piece of dynamite. :lol: I'll take a gander at my '84 and see if I can find something.
  3. The Heater

The Heater Member

Hi, JCSHIPP:

If you don't own a service manual, I suggest buying one. If you can get the OEM manual, all the better. At least get a Haynes.

These manuals have instructions to show you where to disassemble things. Having said that, you can remove the radio without a "big hammer" by carefully (operative word here) removing the outer trim piece around the radio, IF there are fasteners visible on the outside, such as plastic allen head screws. If you don't have those screws, the next thing is to remove adjacent large items, such as the glove box, if it provides a close enough access point, and then remove more items until you get access to the rear of the panel.

I am not personally familiar with your truck, but I am thinking it is similar to mine. I have the plastic fasteners on the outside of the radio trim panel and once that is removed, fasteners underneath are exposed to remove the radio. No removal of adjacent items on the dash is necessary.

If you do remove the radio, I suggest keeping it in case you sell the truck, as many buyers won't want plexiglass with gauges in there.
  4. chemcounter

chemcounter New Member

I used to have a similar truck and the radio quit working. I had an after market put in and they put a cd/tape holder (just formed plastic) in the area where the old one was located. The new radio went in place of the tape deck which was over to the right in the center of the dashboard. I don't see why you could not install whatever you wanted where the old radio resides.
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts

Metra does make kits for that truck that puts pockets where the stock radio is and puts the new radio where the CD player/pocket is

www.metraonline.com
  6. jcshipp

jcshipp New Member

thanks guys,sounds like a good weekend project to get started on. will lrt ya'll know how i come out.