1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cracked dash panel?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by JimmyA, Aug 10, 2013.

1. JimmyA

JimmyA Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Same place! The drivers side was, forward and left, next to the windshield panel! Let's keep this going, as more may post. I sure hope this condition doesn't, return??????? Cuz, it'll be out of my "POCKET" and shouldn't be.......
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Ok. Thanks for those pics. Yeah. That's a big crack for not that many miles or years.
  3. fordee7

fordee7 New Member

If you don't already know, many (if not most) 2007+ Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban, Avalanche, Silverado and Sierra Trucks dashes have cracked in these same spots (corner of passenger airbag and above instrument cluster). We have organized a group of owners on the facebook page found here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/251892298253/

Please join our group and help us get GM to take action. GM denies most repairs (or offers a discounted repair) if the vehicle is even a few days out of warranty. GM knows this is a rampant issue and fails to take responsibility. Don't let GM get away with this. This issue poses safety concerns regarding whether the airbag will be punctured or otherwise ineffective during deployment due to the sharp cracked edges of the dash as well as the potential for shards of cracked dash becoming projectiles causing injury to occupants during a collision. Please join with us. I have also just started a twitter handle 'trushift'. Please follow me and help spread the word.
  4. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

I have had the same crack for a couple of years now in truck norris and I'll agree it is fairly annoying. My truck now has 103K on it so I'm SOL haha. That being said...i dont see how this could cause a safety concern seeing as how the bag itself deploys in basically an entirely different panel, made of a different material.. and IF it did send pieces flying... uhh.. the airbag went off. Id be worried about getting punched in the face by that rather than the pieces of plastic the airbag (because of its location and direction of deployment) sent towards the windshield.
  5. fordee7

fordee7 New Member

I suppose if you don't mind the risk of the unknown this wouldn't be a concern for you. As for me, I am not interested in my wife and children being a 'test case' during a collision as to whether additional injuries result from the sharp edges of the cracked dash. I would rather the dash be in one piece prior to the collision as it was intended during original design, testing and manufacturing.
    photo 1.jpg photo 3.jpg
  6. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

It's not really the unknown though. Not knocking you for being concerned with your family's safety by any means, but have you taken the dash apart before to research for yourself and understand what happens to the dash when the airbag deploys?
    1) there's not an airbag above the instrument cluster to cause that area to explode and send "shards" flying throughout the cabin (although i agree it is BS that they're cracking already)
    2) As I stated earlier, the airbag "cabin" if you will, is totally separate of where that crack appears on the passenger side (as you can see from your picture), is made of a different material than what cracked, has relief cuts in this pliable cover (allowing it to RIP rather than break), and projects outwards toward the passenger which places it between the person and this cracked portion.
  7. fordee7

fordee7 New Member

It is entirely an unknown. You may want to read up on 'chaos theory'. Here is a short research summary on this related to vehicle collision.

http://www.injuryresources.com/brain-injury/injury414.html

Here are a couple quotes from the article:

" a car crash is a chaotic system that’s virtually unpredictable:"

"Even small variations of the initial conditions can affect the end result so that it is no longer predictable"

Introducing an unintended variable such as the dash being cracked can and will likely completely negate the expected results. If you don't agree, we can just agree to disagree.
  8. JimmyA

JimmyA Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I would like to follow this but I don't do Facebook or Twitter! I am Old School and try to be Transparent. Sounds familiar doesn't, I am not Obammmmmmmmma though. I would like to see a recall that would last for "Lifetime" to original owner!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the Pics! Those are the same as mine was, in the exact place!
  9. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

The cracked dash for the sake of appearance is enough. Honestly the "in case of an accident" isn't really logical because from experience loose objects in the cab are your real problem.

That being said poorly designed airbags have been put into vehicles in the past (late 80s or early 90s Pontiac rings a bell) ...