1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Cracked front axle boot.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by chabunga, Jan 20, 2013.

1. chabunga

chabunga New Member

While lubing my ol '98 Silverado I noticed (with wheel turned) one of the front axles boots has a crack. I know this will have to be fixed. I don't think I have the tools (or knowledge) to replace it. I also fear it's going to cost me mucho $$$$. Question(s) are, is there anything I can do to patch it to make it last a little longer? The axle actually looked pretty clean. On other vehicles (fwd) I have owned the boot cracks, dirt gets in and ruins bearing. Then they replace the whole shebang. Realistically, how long do I have before it fails? How much money are we talking for a fix? How many parts will be replaced?

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

There used to be a universel quick fix boot on the market from I think Moog. When I had my lifted S-10 Blazer I used to use them..it just goes over the old boot or the axle comes with grease and glue and clamps to keep it shut..I think they were about $25.00

3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Just make sure u get it fixed soon or you can ruin the CV joint from lube failure or contaminants Usually the replace isnt to pricey, but a damaged CV is because you have to replace the whole shaft and joints.

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If you use the truck for any type of off-roading the universal fix boot probably wont last very long, their a cheap quick fix and quality/longevity are reflected.
    Remove and replace the CV shaft as soon as possible, quality rebuilt/re-manufactured replacement CV shafts are available for reasonable prices at most auto parts stores. And they take less than an hour to replace with normal hand tools.
    There's no way to measure how long it will last before the boot totally fails and the joints begin destroying themselves (actually the joints are probably already forming corrosion and getting excessive wear from moisture and debris thats slipped in), but the end result can be a lot more expensive than a new CV, this is a job thats better to be proactive with so you dont end up with something more expensive down the road.

5. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

to repair this is not a big job with the proper tools. also this is a common well known repair to replace the cv assy/boot.

problems that will occur if in the rust belt would be hub removal. this can be hard to do as the hub locks into the lower control arm sometimes. you will also need a manual to guide you threw the process so this is torqued and installed properly but for sure not a complex job.

if you had all the tools and an air gun about 1 hr job. with a crack this means dirt / water got in, now it is rusting and grit is wearing away at the joint unless this is a small crack.

good luck ..

6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

A new complete shaft is around $60. you can get them out without having to pull anything else. Just remove the bolts holding it to the front diff flange, take off the nut at the wheel hub, and sometimes you have to remove the swaybar link. You should be able to slide it right out.

7. chabunga

chabunga New Member

Thanks everybody! I'm encouraged to try this repair myself. Anybody got a recommendation for a good manual?

8. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

[MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION], that price is correct. I had to replace mine this summer. Was around 70 total, but I think there was a core deposit. As for changing it, it wasn't bad, just like what he said. Remove the bolts and slide out. A buddy was helping me do my shocks and we noticed it so we replaced it then. we had already installed the front shock then noticed it had to be replaced. It was easier to take the shock off and change, then to do it with it on.

9. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Everything I've ever read is that it is better to replace the axle than just the boot. Since the boot has ripped, the axle is probably original (1998), so the CV joint is pretty worn out anyway. I would not spend any money at all on a 15 year old axle. From what I've also read, a mechanic will remove the axle to replace the boot.

10. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

For the pita and money a new axle is the way to go, i have done it 3 ways, 1 replace, 2 i put a boot that used like 6 tiny bolts and a split boot on my tempo, it held but wasnt very good as the bolts ruined flexability, 3 take apart the axle, now depending on age this is a bitc*. you have to completely remove the old boot, clean out all of the old grease, wrestle a snapring off and then try to get it all back together. For $50-80 you can replace just about any cv. These thrucks are real easy too bc the inner cv bolts on and you just undo the hubnut and tap it out. MAKE SURE TO LOCKTITE THOSE BOLTS! They will come back out or shear if you use 4wd often.