1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

cracked tranny need help

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Jplowman2005, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Jplowman2005

Jplowman2005 New Member

i purchased 2001 a 4x4 silverado with the 4.8/4l60e with a manual transfer case..anywho it had a small tranny leak when i first got it,well i was using it for work the other day and noticed a constant drip, upon inspection its come from the back of the tranny where it connects to the transfer case..its cracked close to where it moints to the tranny mount..this piece looks to be a 4" wide adapter or somthing, what is the name of this piece? is this common on trucks, and wheres a good place to order oem parts for chevy, or maybe a stronger replacment part..thanks josh
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

That piece is called an adapter. Hopefully it's cracked and not the transmission case. The reason for the crack is usually the driveshaft. Bad ujoint or the shaft is out of balance. Make sure you get the shaft checked when you fix the crack or it will crack again. The adapter can be purchased from the dealer or you can find it cheaper here from the GM parts guys.
  3. Jplowman2005

Jplowman2005 New Member

thanks for the info, im a pretty good mechanic but ive always had front wheel drive..when you say the gm parts guys do you mean a certain person on the forum or just people in the for sale section..thanks
  4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

GMPartsClub.com is a sponcering vendor here. Go the Marketplace on the home page and check it out.
  5. GMTC_Admin

GMTC_Admin Super Moderator 1000 Posts

Yep dont forget to check out www.gmpartsclub.com for chevy parts. They are a supporting vendor here on the forms but they also have great prices and customer service