crank sesnor/ cam position sensor...

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by timhall1787, Oct 1, 2011.

Newest Photos

1. timhall1787

timhall1787 New Member

305 tbi. i know that the crank sensor will throw off the pcm and timing for ignition. if its bad the motor will just roll over? what about the cam position sensor? will it cause the engine to roll over and not start as well?
  2. Caddiac

Caddiac New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If the engine is just rolling over and failing to start I would not suspect either of those sensors unless there are other symptoms than what you posted in your thread. If the timing were the problem, I would expect the engine to have been raising hell prior to refusing to start. I do not know about the ODB I used on the TBI but ODB II engines have a DTC that sets the check engine light when the cam shaft and crank shaft sensors do not correlate.

Do you have any engine codes? What model year and how many miles? What work has been done to the engine recently?
  3. timhall1787

timhall1787 New Member

89 1500. 305 tbi. no work done to her at all. just moved from south texas to west michigan. got here and it would roll over for a bit before starting if it sat longer than 5 hours or so. then just quit starting. rebuilt the tbi. new fuel psi regulator. fuel pump. filter. cap and rotor. plugs wires. coolant temp sensor. starter. oh and 150k origional miles. so i took the battery to the shop and slow charged it all day at work todat came home and installed the starter and put the battery in and she rolled over a bit and started. i was just unsure about the crank and cam sensor because i had used a scanner form work and had no codes but while i was rolling it over it was not showing me any rpm's. but the test will be if it starts in the morning. thanks and ill reply with more
  4. Caddiac

Great! I hope that you got her fixed.
  5. timhall1787

timhall1787 New Member

well it was a fluke... but it ran like **** to work and at lunch i got it started after rolling over and over... and i pulled it in the shop and no codes as usual. but then started and drove great after but no start this morning. well anyway long story short i put a ignition coil in and started and drove great.
  6. Caddiac

Great end to a frustrating story! Thanks for posting the solution for those that come behind you.