GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Crashed my Avalanche Yesterday. Pics Included

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by pmf608, Jul 20, 2013.

1. pmf608

pmf608 New Member

Hey everyone!

I haven't been on here much lately, but I figured I'd post up today since I crashed my Avalanche yesterday. I got distracted by a spider that was on my windshield and didn't pay attention for 1-2 seconds. In that time, the Jeep Grand Cherokee in front of me stopped. I didn't even see it coming. The Jeep had fairly minimal damage compared to my truck. Fortunately there were no major injuries and I only have a sprained ankle and a sore neck.

Since I only have liability insurance and no collision coverage for my truck, I'll be taking the Avalanche to a repair shop on Monday to see how much it will cost to have the bit of frame damage that there is on the front repaired. If that will be a reasonable cost, I will pick up a parts truck once the frame is good, swap over everything else myself and then have the hood and fenders repainted to match. If the frame repair will be too expensive, then I guess I will have to try to make some money back by parting it out and then replace it.

Anyways, here are the pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 New Member

Holy Crap! That sucks, glad everyone is reasonably OK. Shame about the insurance situation, hope things work out for you. It looks like a lot of damage, how fast were you going when you hit?
  3. pmf608

pmf608 New Member

I was going about 50km/h (just over 30 mph) when it happened. My truck really did absorb most of the impact. The only real damage to the jeep was the back door being pushed in.
  4. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator

Considering the amount of damage to your Avy, how is that Jeep not a wadded ball of metal right now????

Glad everyone is OK though.
  5. FrigginNoodles

FrigginNoodles Member

Wow that is insane! Happy to hear everyone walked away. Keep ur head up
  6. Parkrat

Parkrat New Member

Spiders are bad this year for some reason, this is the only place in the world where someone driving in front of you can come to a dead stop in 2 seconds or less, i think its gravitational pull.
  7. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

[​IMG] What did you do??? :gasp: [​IMG] Pour Av... Glad to see your OK..Glad it was not one of those jeeps that blowup on impact.....
  8. pmf608

pmf608 New Member

:lol: it's crazy. It was the kind of situation where traffic was flowing and I thought I would have time to look down to make sure I had got rid of the spider. This really did serve as a lesson to my family and I (and hopefully anyone who hears about it) that even when traffic seems normal, it only takes the smallest of distractions for everything to change and this much damage to be caused.

I know people who don't text while they're driving but will sometimes quickly read an incoming text to see if they need to pull over to respond or if it can wait, and that is something I've done before too and I'm sure most people have at some point. I hope everyone can learn from this that even the smallest of distractions like killing a spider or glancing at a text is all it takes for this to happen. I literally went from cruising along and being happy one second to dealing with the spider the next second to a dead stop with the airbag off and all of my coolant dumping onto the road the next second.
  9. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member

glad your ok man. sorry about your truck.

Alex
  10. Parkrat

Parkrat New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2013
  11. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 New Member

I am sorry to hear and see this man. Hopefully you can repair without going too deep in your pockets. What are you going to be driving now? the work truck?
  12. Goldie

Goldie New Member

I'm glad everyone was able to walk away and very sorry to see the results of the accident. Truly hope you can work things out part wise to get the Avy back on the road.
  13. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

Wow. Glad you're ok. Looks like the front end took a lot of damage.
  14. pmf608

pmf608 New Member

Thanks everyone.

I'm driving the work truck for the time being. It sucks :lol:. I should find out tomorrow what the cost of the frame repairs will be and go from there. Hopefully I'll be able to get it fixed up.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, my repair is on hold until at least Wednesday. I called up my preferred body shop that I know does top quality work and their owner that does the estimates is out of town until Wednesday and they wouldn't be able to give me as accurate of an estimate until then. So I guess it will sit here for a few more days before I find out what to do with it. They did tell me the typical frame repair takes 4-10 hours though, so that gives me hope that the frame repair won't be too expensive.
  15. stchman

stchman New Member

Hey [MENTION=21735]pmf608[/MENTION], that's a pretty nice truck, why would you not carry full coverage on it? The price difference could not have been that much.

I would only carry liability only if it was a real POS.
  16. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 New Member

Aw man I am so sorry that happened to you! Glad to know everyone was alright. Keep us posted!
  17. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator

Ouch!!! Like many have said, glad you nor anyone else was injured. So sorry to hear the bad news. Let's hope the damage looks worse than the price tag to fix.
  18. pikefisher

pikefisher New Member

I hope the spider was on the bumper when you hit, glad you and the other guy is ok
  19. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

sad to hear about the truck, but glad to hear about everyone being okay
  20. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

So just remember you can rebuild her better, Stronger Better.......:glasses: