Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Crashed my Avalanche Yesterday. Pics Included

Discussion in 'Chevy Avalanche Forum (Escalade EXT)' started by pmf608, Jul 20, 2013.

1. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hey everyone!

I haven't been on here much lately, but I figured I'd post up today since I crashed my Avalanche yesterday. I got distracted by a spider that was on my windshield and didn't pay attention for 1-2 seconds. In that time, the Jeep Grand Cherokee in front of me stopped. I didn't even see it coming. The Jeep had fairly minimal damage compared to my truck. Fortunately there were no major injuries and I only have a sprained ankle and a sore neck.

Since I only have liability insurance and no collision coverage for my truck, I'll be taking the Avalanche to a repair shop on Monday to see how much it will cost to have the bit of frame damage that there is on the front repaired. If that will be a reasonable cost, I will pick up a parts truck once the frame is good, swap over everything else myself and then have the hood and fenders repainted to match. If the frame repair will be too expensive, then I guess I will have to try to make some money back by parting it out and then replace it.

Anyways, here are the pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Holy Crap! That sucks, glad everyone is reasonably OK. Shame about the insurance situation, hope things work out for you. It looks like a lot of damage, how fast were you going when you hit?
  3. pmf608

I was going about 50km/h (just over 30 mph) when it happened. My truck really did absorb most of the impact. The only real damage to the jeep was the back door being pushed in.
  4. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Considering the amount of damage to your Avy, how is that Jeep not a wadded ball of metal right now????

Glad everyone is OK though.
  5. FrigginNoodles

FrigginNoodles Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Wow that is insane! Happy to hear everyone walked away. Keep ur head up
  6. Parkrat

Parkrat Member

Spiders are bad this year for some reason, this is the only place in the world where someone driving in front of you can come to a dead stop in 2 seconds or less, i think its gravitational pull.
  7. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

[​IMG] What did you do??? :gasp: [​IMG] Pour Av... Glad to see your OK..Glad it was not one of those jeeps that blowup on impact.....
  8. pmf608

:lol: it's crazy. It was the kind of situation where traffic was flowing and I thought I would have time to look down to make sure I had got rid of the spider. This really did serve as a lesson to my family and I (and hopefully anyone who hears about it) that even when traffic seems normal, it only takes the smallest of distractions for everything to change and this much damage to be caused.

I know people who don't text while they're driving but will sometimes quickly read an incoming text to see if they need to pull over to respond or if it can wait, and that is something I've done before too and I'm sure most people have at some point. I hope everyone can learn from this that even the smallest of distractions like killing a spider or glancing at a text is all it takes for this to happen. I literally went from cruising along and being happy one second to dealing with the spider the next second to a dead stop with the airbag off and all of my coolant dumping onto the road the next second.
  9. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

glad your ok man. sorry about your truck.

Alex
  10. Parkrat

Parkrat Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2013