1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Crate Engine Swap

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by ShaneB, Jun 25, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. ShaneB

ShaneB New Member

Ok, So I am looking to do a rebuild on my 95 K1500, 305 small block 5.0l V8. Looking around I think I would like to drop in an HT383E from Chevy Performance. My concern is space allowances and compatibility. Anyone have experience with these? Any help would be greatly appreciated. This will be my first attempt at a job like this, it's ambitious I know, but hell, let's jump right in!:great:

2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Space-wise, it's no problem. The 305 and 383 are built off the exact same block. The overall dimensions of the block are the same and motor mounts in the same location, etc. Your trouble is going to come in for fueling it and controlling it. Your 95 has a computer in it that won't know how to properly run the 383, so you're either going to need a new computer or move to carbeurated or an aftermarket fuel injection setup. Then there will be the matter of making the gauges work right.

It's certainly doable, but make sure to do your research before jumping in.

3. ShaneB

ShaneB New Member

If I am spending the money on a crate, the fuel injection shouldn't be too much of a stretch. The gauges however, were something that I never really thought about. Suggestions?

4. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

As Crawdaddy said the 383 is externally identicle to your 305. Your gauges will work just fine once you swap all your sending units over. The factory TBI wil work, but you will need to find a shop that can recommend the proper size fuel injectors and then burn you a new chip with the proper fuel maps to run the 383.