1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Crazy Idle Issues

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by MTM, Sep 3, 2012.

1. MTM

MTM Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Alright so when my truck is at idle it sputters a little. Crazy part is when you open the hood it then idles fine. Close the hood it will instantly start sputtering. Never dies but will just sputter really bad. Need any thoughts possible. I have no idea what would cause this

2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Air Intake?

3. MTM

Yea I have a spectre

4. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Hmmmmmmmmm....

5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I'm not a big fan of CAI (a lot of people on here will tell you that, haha) and, I am not familiar with the Spectre unit. However, if, like most, it is open topped when the hood is open consider this.

It breathes when the hood is open and smothers when the hood is closed. If that is the way it is operating, something is blocking the air intake.

6. MTM

Just recently put a new MAF sensor and I'm think it reads a lot better than the factory one and its trying to adjust when the hit air is across it and then the hood open it gets direct cold air

- - - Updated - - -

Just recently put a new MAF sensor and I'm think it reads a lot better than the factory one and its trying to adjust when the hit air is across it and then the hood open it gets direct cold air

7. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

The MAF (Mass Air Flow), doesn't care about the temp of the air, only the density of the air (yes, temperature does effect the density of the air).

If a CAI is doing it's job, it should be drawing COLD (outside of engine compartment) air when the hood is closed, if opening the hood makes a difference, the hood closed air input is blocked.

8. MTM

I am at lost on this problem.Everyone I have talked to has no idea and all the guys at the local dealership have no idea either. Need everyone's help

9. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

the first step would be to put the original intake components back on to see if that changes anything. I can't think of any other event that would cause the trouble you are experiencing.

10. MTM

Guess its worth a try