1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Crazy Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by supermanwv, Jan 15, 2010.

1. supermanwv

supermanwv New Member

This may be a crazy question....but I've never paid much attention before.

On my 2009 Silverado, towards the front of the frame where the tow hook/attachment points are, there are buckets or whatever you would call them, welded to the bottom of the frame like they were used to hold the frame on the assembly line or something. What are these things? Do they serve any purpose, as one of mine is not welded on as straight as the other.

WHY DID I NOTICE THIS YOU ASK? Well.... I hit a deer the other morning and I was under there looking to see what kind of damage I did. It looks like I bent one of the pieces of frame where the tow hooks are attached...but not sure. And my bumper, headlight, fender, grill, and some other little stuff took the blunt of the hit. And it goes in for repairs on Monday the 18th.

I just noticed these pieces while looking around under there.

What are they?

Thanks

Clark (SupermanWV)

2. Silverado84

Silverado84 New Member

It very well might be the "car catcher" under the frame, because I know they put something under there in case of an accident with a smaller vehicle. Prevents the vehicle from going under the truck and reduces damage.

3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I ewould just ask the auto body you take it too, they should know

4. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

Yep, thats what they are. I asked the same thing when I noticed them on my truck after taking off that lower plastic air dam.

5. supermanwv

supermanwv New Member

Cool....thanks for the info.

Hopefully, when they fix my truck, it will still be like brand new...since its only 6 months old or so.

I hate having things painted though....it almost never matches just right.

Clark (SupermanWV)

6. wayned

wayned Rockstar 100 Posts

Thats Y I always get black . IT always matches. (Batman)