1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

crazy vibrations

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by billshev, Sep 22, 2010.

1. billshev

billshev New Member

whoa! maybe some one can help me out here.. i have a 2000 silverado ls with a long bed. its an ex-work truck that i picked up cheap. the problem is that it shakes at highway speeds. at about 65mph the pasanger seat visibly shakes and you can feel it through the whole cab. i had the wheels ballanced, i had a front end allingment, i switched the wheels thinking that maybe one was bent, i got new tires thinking one might be "cupped" (and they were worn out anyway). i cant figure it. it seems to be coming from the rear of the truck. should i replace suspension components? also, the bed sags towards the drivers side. this seems to be a problem with a lot of chevys. whats up with that? someone help me out please?
  2. hundojoe

hundojoe New Member

Try replacing the shocks, Does the truck have stock size tires?
  3. billshev

billshev New Member

yes, stock size. 16.5 or 16. 136000 miles. dont know if the shocks have ever been replaced
  4. hundojoe

hundojoe New Member

Definitely not 16.5's, Well start by changing the shocks, I prefer Rancho shocks, but there are alot of good manufactures out there.
  5. MANBEARPIG

MANBEARPIG New Member

Hey sorry your trucks giving you so much trouble. High way speeds usually indicate a out of balance tire, since you had them balanced and they didnt mention a bent rim or seperating tire i would next check to see if your rims are stock. After market rims sometimes dont center right on the hubs. Then take a floor jack and raise each wheel and move it back and forth, up and down checking for abnormal play in the hubs, ball joints, ect... BUT BEFORE ANY OF THIS TAKE IT BACK TO THE SHOP YOU BOUGHT THE TIRES.
    As for the sag. Hopefully its just body mounts, but on alot of long beds they get overloaded at some point and the frame bends.-Good luck
  6. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts

x2

also check out the drive shaft, if bent or out of balance can vibrate as well. check ujoints. Bilsteins are another good shock brand
  7. billshev

billshev New Member

Hmm. here is something else kinda related to ther drive shaft.. i replaced the transmission mount because it was detoriated. it bolted to the transmission just fine but the bolt did not line up with the hole in the frame crossmember. i had to wedge a small jack and a block of wood between the frame and transmission and push it over so it would line up. does ths indicate that maybe the drive shaft/ rear axel are not perpendicular with the front of the truck? it was vibrating before and after i did this. i havent checked the u bolts. am i checking to see if they are loose?
  8. MANBEARPIG

MANBEARPIG New Member

Yes you are checking for any play at all in the drive shaft and having to manipulate the mount to get it in the hole is not unusual.... this is a tough one to figure out, usually u joints are accompanied by a cluck. More likely bent drive shaft.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  9. billshev

billshev New Member

Ok, i changed the shocks and it still vibrates. i checked the u bolts. they seem to be ok. i called around to local mechanics and there is only one place in town that ballances drive shafts.. my wheels are ballanced... could it be worn out bushings? maybe the leaf spring bushings?
  10. bandit1911

bandit1911 New Member

bump. I'm looking for an answer also