1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Creating a 2 LO in a 06 3500 4wd

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by timruger1, Feb 27, 2014.

1. timruger1

timruger1 New Member

I own a 2006 chev 3500 drw 4wd with an automatic and a duramax engine.

Without getting into to much detail I tow heavy and often. Frequently I encounter long steep grades and it would be ideal to have a 2 LO option to benefit from the low gearing of the transfer case. Much like a splitter.

I used this frequently in my f350 but it had lockout hubs.

Does anyone know how I could keep the front end from engaging while inside the truck on our pickups?

Or

A solid explanation of how it engages so I can figure it out for myself.

Thank You
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

[MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION] had a mod for having 2 low in his old truck so he has experience with it.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I had a posi-lok cable actuated actuator in my front diff on the 95. I replace the thermal actuator with a rod, and a cable with a t-handle under the dash. I could put it in 4 low and not pull the handle, making it 2 low. I don't know if they make them for your year truck. I have heard of guys cutting a wire running to the front actuator, then running extensions off that wire to an incab switch. put in 4 and leave the switch off and you have 2wd, if you flip the switch the actuator pushes the rod out and you have 4wd. i don't know if it will work on the push button t-cases, but it did on the manual case