Creating a 2 LO in a 06 3500 4wd

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by timruger1, Feb 27, 2014.

1. timruger1

timruger1 New Member

I own a 2006 chev 3500 drw 4wd with an automatic and a duramax engine.

Without getting into to much detail I tow heavy and often. Frequently I encounter long steep grades and it would be ideal to have a 2 LO option to benefit from the low gearing of the transfer case. Much like a splitter.

I used this frequently in my f350 but it had lockout hubs.

Does anyone know how I could keep the front end from engaging while inside the truck on our pickups?

Or

A solid explanation of how it engages so I can figure it out for myself.

Thank You

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

[MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION] had a mod for having 2 low in his old truck so he has experience with it.

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I had a posi-lok cable actuated actuator in my front diff on the 95. I replace the thermal actuator with a rod, and a cable with a t-handle under the dash. I could put it in 4 low and not pull the handle, making it 2 low. I don't know if they make them for your year truck. I have heard of guys cutting a wire running to the front actuator, then running extensions off that wire to an incab switch. put in 4 and leave the switch off and you have 2wd, if you flip the switch the actuator pushes the rod out and you have 4wd. i don't know if it will work on the push button t-cases, but it did on the manual case