Cruise Control Erratic / Jumpy and Kicks Out

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by dr_jared88, Sep 11, 2010.

1. dr_jared88

dr_jared88 New Member

Hello!

I just purchased a 2004 Silverado 2500. After driving it a little bit I've noticed that my cruise control is acting up to the point where it is pretty much unusable. When I have the cruise engaged, it is extremely sensitive and even the slightest hill causes the truck to downshift and hammer the throttle causing the truck to lunge forward. Sometimes this causes the cruise to kick out.

Any ideas of what the problem may be?

Thanks!

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Either a faulty switch or else it sounds like you may have a servo problem.

3. dr_jared88

dr_jared88 New Member

By switch do you mean the control on the signal light? If so I am pretty sure that isn't it but I could check that out. How would I go about checking the servo?

To add a little bit, it seems to be way worse when pulling a trailer. It seems like the sensitivity is set really high. There isn't a way to adjust this, is there?

4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

No there isnt a way to adjust it. And the servo is part of your TB, and the computer reads this as long as you have the electronic throttle. Since there is just computer control for the Servo that actually openes the throttle and when the Cruise is set the computer basically does its own thing to maintain speed. So there could be an issue or else as i said the switch (which is part of the multi function switch yes) could have a short in it etc allowing for intermittent contact.
    As to how you go about checking out the servo im not 100% since i havent really messed with the electronic throttle as of yet..

5. hundojoe

hundojoe Rockstar 100 Posts

Could be a faulty brake switch, thats the switch that runs your brake lights and shuts off the cruise control.