1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

cruise control not working

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by RATRODKING, May 6, 2012.

1. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Sounds good...let us know!:great:
  2. Revredneck

Revredneck Rockstar 100 Posts

If you're gonna replace the brake switch, you'll need to adjust it properly. Once you get it installed, press the brake pedal down and pull the small lever on the bottom edge of the switch all the way back. You can see it just under the yoke on the photo below. Release the pedal and you're done.
    [​IMG]
  3. RATRODKING

RATRODKING Rockstar 100 Posts

thanks for the tip Rev..... so far i am just trying the cruise control release switch.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=97605

if that dont do it will will then get the brake switch that you show and give that a try... i will have to really look for it, since the other night i didnt see anything like that, but it has to be there.
    thanks for the help, and i hope to have the part by this weekend from rockauto..

4. Revredneck

Revredneck Rockstar 100 Posts

I guess I need to clarify something here. I am assuming you have an automatic transmission. If not, the other switch illustrated at RockAuto is for the clutch pedal. The cruise switch for the brake pedal is integrated into the stop light switch (pictured).
  5. RATRODKING

thanks much Revredneck....

the switch from rockauto that i pictured arrived today. yes, my truck is an automatic, but it had that switch on it and it operated from my brake pedal...... strange....

it was raining when i was changing it out after work today, but i have it installed and will try it on the way to work tomorrow morning.
    i dont think that it will be the fix though. once i had the old switch out i was able to do an ohms test on it and it seems to be working fine. just my luck. lol.

after looking really good while changing it, i was able to finally see the brake light switch you have pictured..... it looks really hard to get out. how is it held in, with screws of just pops off ? its way up in there... if my fix dont work, then i will try the brake light switch.

thansk for the info and i will report back tomorrow after work.

leonard
  6. RATRODKING

Ok guys, the cut off switch i got from rockauto did not fix it.... so soon i will order the brake light switch that Rev has suggested and give that a shot. if that dont do it i will just live without cruise control....
    it really looks like a real pain to get that brake light switch out...... i cant even tell how it is installed.... screws ?
    thanks
  7. ChevyBoy2009

I am not positive how you get it out,been awhile since ive done one...but when you install the new one there will be a slot that it has to slide into,if you dont it wont set right or work right...ill do some checking to see how it install it.
  8. ChevyBoy2009

here is a picture,the only one i could find really...its off a 1994 1500 but it gives you a idea how it works...

1639_secureimgcontent_2.jpg
  9. kw70chevy

kw70chevy Member

my problem was the box under the hood.i took the one off my tahoe hooked every thing up and now it works fine.
  10. RATRODKING

Chevyboy, thanks much for finding the detailed drawing... i looked and looked and couldnt find anything like that.....

kw70chevy.. thanks also for your info. im curious, when you swapped out the box under the hood, was there any adjustment on the cable, or is it a direct swap with no hassles ?
    i will let you guys know when i do swap out the brake switch.

thanks