1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

cruise control not working

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by RATRODKING, May 6, 2012.

1. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts

2. kw70chevy

kw70chevy New Member

no didnt have to adjust nothing.
  3. RATRODKING

RATRODKING New Member

UPDATE...... FINALLY.

ok guys, i finally got around to digging deeper into fixing my cruise control.... still no luck.

i installed my new brake light switch, and let me say, the engineer who designed this style of switch is an absolute fool.( cant say how i actually feel ). it took me 90 minutes to get the old one out and the new one in... what a real pain it was.
    got it in and got it adjusted..... but it did NOT fix my cruise control problem.
    i need some more help.... here is what i have as of now..

i checked the 4 wires coming from the cruise control switch it seems to me to be good ?
    key on=blue wire hot
    cruise on=green wire hot
    press set/decelerate=brown wire hot
    press accelerate=yellow hot.
    so, all 4 functions on the switch are working, so my problem should not be the switch, correct ?

kw70chevy said his problem was the "electro motor cruise control " box under the hood on drivers side firewall. should i try that next ?
    i took the cover off that box and it all looked new inside. checked the 7 wire plug that press fits onto the box, and all i have is one terminal that is hot when the key is turned on, and another terminal that is hot when i press the "set/decelerate" button. i could not get a terminal to go hot when i pressed the accelerate button, and i didnt check to see if one of the terminals would got hot when i pressed the brake pedal. (i just thought about that).
    any thoughts on what i should check or try next ?
    i might hit the local junk yard tomorrow on my way home from work to see if they have a control box that i could try out...

thanks for any help guys... i really want my cruise con
  4. RATRODKING

RATRODKING New Member

update..... i now have my cruise control back to working... it was the cruise control switch afterall. i was checking the 4 wires right after they came out of the switch, when i should have been checking them at the end of the harness.... thats where i found that two of the 4 wires were not good, probably broken somewhere in the middle due to the tilting action of the column over the past 22 years....
    autozone wanted $139 and napa wanted $219... i got mine at rockauto for $45....
    thanks guys... onto the next project
  5. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 New Member

I was right again!...haha :great:...glad you got it working again!
  6. RATRODKING

RATRODKING New Member

yep, you nailed it from the start...... thanks for your help man, i really appreciate it... until the next project