1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

cruise control question, before I buy new turn-signal lever

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by buckmeister2, Feb 26, 2013.

1. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

The CC on my 2001 1500 does not engage ("cruise on" light goes on, but cruise not engaging). All brake lights function properly. All fuses are fine. The popular fix is to buy a new stalk assy and swap it in, for about $90. Before i do that, wanted to ask if there is any other common issue, or if the assy can be pulled, and possibly the cruise wire repaired, or something similar, without having to toss an otherwise working assembly.

thanks for any help you can give.

Jim
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I remember reading about a wire that frequently breaks under the dash (coming from the column), I think it was orange.

Try a search, it might save you some $$

EDIT: Sorry Jim, I just followed my advice and did an "orange wire" search. That wire is part of the tow/haul button, not cruise control.

But, wouldn't hurt to check the condition of the wires under there.

Applying the brakes will disengage cc, are the brake lights stuck on?
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  3. redvett

redvett Member

Might replace the brake switch. There are several contacts on it also check with a test light at the cruise control module.
  4. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Thanks, ray and red. yeah, i already did the fix with the orange wire when my tow-haul button would not work. Good thought, though. I've read on several forums that the CC switch is actually what goes bad, and since it is integral to the level mech, the only/best fix is a new lever assy.

Yes, the brakes go on and off as they should, no missing lights, nothing staying on. Flasher works as it should, signals are okay. It's just that the "set" signal is not getting to the CC module. I will check the wiring closely, and check for current at the CC module. If I don't see anything, will order the new lever.

Appreciate the input, guys. thanks.

jim