1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cruise control switch

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by tomas, Jun 7, 2010.

1. tomas

tomas New Member

Do any of you Techies know of a way to test the cruise control switch on the multifunction stalk. I would like to isolate a problem (not working) on a 98 Sonoma. It recently stopped working and I have tested the fuses. I would like to be able to test the switch before dismantling it. I do have an Ohm meter and know how to use it. I don't think it is a mechanical problem, merely in the switch or wiring. Any help out there?
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Youve got me.. I usually check relays etc.. But that is a common failure on these rigs (all GMs with the multi function switch for that matter)
  3. tomas

tomas New Member

Well I noiced the high mounted brake light on top of the cab was burned out so I replcaced the two bayonet type bulbs. They still don't work, but, guess what--- the cruise started working again. I knew the brakes and cruise were integrated but go figure! Nice wiring there GM!
  4. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 New Member 1000 Posts

Check the brake light switch. If its acting up then neither the brake lights nor the cruise will work properly.
  5. tomas

tomas New Member

Brake lights work, always have, just the high-mounted light was out. I am still going to look into the wiring for that and check the brake-switch.
  6. drwdominance

drwdominance New Member

what is a brake switch? my cruise just stopped working too. i think it has something to do with my messed up electronic brake control unit.
  7. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 New Member 1000 Posts

It is the switch connected to your brake pedal. It turns on the brake lights when you press the pedal.
  8. drwdominance

drwdominance New Member

ahh i see. good news is i disconnected the brake control unit and my cruise came back.