Cruise Control WTF?!

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by GreatCaesar, Dec 21, 2006.

1. GreatCaesar

GreatCaesar New Member

Ok, I have 5 Suburbans. Two are 2004's, 1 1991, 1 1994, and 1 1996. Out of the 5 Suburbans the 1994 and 1996 seem to have a cruise control problem. After driving a while with cruise control activated, it seems like a circuit breaker goes out and the cruise control won't work anymore...UNTIL I turn the car off and turn it on again. Then it works just fine! What could cause the cruise control to keep going off then just by cycling power to the engine make it work again? Is there a fix?

Thanks

2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You could start by checking the brake switch. They have a tendency to wear out, and short across the contacts. When does the cruise control go out? While cruising along, or after you've pressed the brake pedal? Does it happen when you go over bumps in the road?

3. bbart62

bbart62 New Member

RE: cruise control issues

Hi,
    I own a 1999 GMC k1500 burb. Driving along on cruise everything is working perfect. The next thing I know cruise control drops off. All I have to do is push resume and it goes back exactly to where it was. 5-10 minutes later same thing. I will tabulate what I have done so far below.

1. Reseated plug at cruise control module.
    2. While driving on cruise control lightly push on brake pedal multiple times---cruise does not drop off.
    3. While driving on cruise control and changing lanes and using turn signal ---cruise does drop off but only sometimes.
    4. While driving on cruise control lightly wiggle the off/on switch---cruise does not drop off.

I was thinking maybe there is a broken or intermittent wire within turn signal control. Does anybody have any other ideas?. Thanks a bunch

4. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Cruise control doesn’t go threw the turn signal switch.

It has it’s own wires that down the steering column all by themselves.

5. TrailLeadr

It's possible that you have a worn broken wire getting intermittent contact/breaks when you move the turn signal arm. You should be able to see the wires at the base of the turn signal arm going into the steering column. If not you might have to pull the rubber boot back to expose the wires.

6. ppettit2005

ppettit2005 Rockstar

DUDE!!! WTF IS UP WITH YOUR CRUISE CONTROL!?!?!??!????! I've never even heard of that problem happening to anyone before!!!

7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

My thought would be short causing a relay or a circuit breaker to flip. I'm not sure if I've ever heard of this issue happening before either.

8. TrailLeadr

Seems to be getting more common. Two separate members with similar problems. Maybe it's more common than anyone realizes. To use my father as an example, if the cruise control were to start acting up like that, he'd just consider it broke, and forget ever using it again. Since he'd see the cruise control as a convenience, and not a requirement, I know he'd never have it fixed, since it doesn't affect the performance of the vehicle.

9. ckulak

ckulak New Member

Cruise control

I have a similar problem on my 97 K1500 suburban. Sometimes the cruise control works, sometimes it doesn't. Also, sometimes it just plain doesn't work and sometimes it starts working then just disengages.

10. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I went to go drive my sub out to the Boy Scout camp today, and I went and set the cruise control. It worked for about 5 seconds maybe, and then it stopped working, on the way home from camp I tried it again, and it still didn't work for me. I haven't checked fuses or anything yet, but I thought this extremely odd...