1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

cruise control...

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by reggiecab2000, Aug 16, 2013.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

guys ive been stumped for months with my cruise control not working...
    ive heard all sorts of things from fuses (duh , ive checked those, theyre fine) to hearing things about having led tails and 3rd brake light leds... but i cant really remember if thats when my cruise control stopped working...

question:
    should the "Cruise" light, light up when you start your vehicle?
    mine does not, if that points a possible cause

usually when i turn cruise control on, the word "cruise" lights up, regardless of whether im using it or not, then if i choose to engage it, the word "on" lights up, which stays on until you turn cruise off, or tap the brake....
    my problem is, "cruise" does not even come on when i push the switch, no quick flash, short circuit or anythings, just doesnt come on...

can anyone help out?
    thanks
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Ive seen the cruise control stop working correctly after swapping both taillights and the CHMSL before, Altezza taillights seem to be worse than most for messing up the taillights.
    Id probably install the factory taillights and 3rd light first to verify that wasnt the problem.
  3. reggiecab2000

but when this happens, does it disable all of cruise control? or does "cruise" still come one but not the "on" light to engage it?
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Dont remember, been a while since I had to work on a vehicle with that problem.
    I think the light came on but the cruise wouldnt engage.
  5. reggiecab2000

update on my problem...

after playing around with everything, I realize that if i UNPLUG the connector from the cruise module under the hood and plug it back in, then try to turn on cruise while sitting there parked, itll flash for about one second then go away.
    does it everytime i unplug and replug the connector to the module, but no other time...
    does this indicate my module is bad?
  6. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It could be the tail lights. On my 05 the cruise light will not come on unless I am going over 25mph. Then I have to press the set button for it to light up. The other day I was towing an old trailer from work. I set my cruise and it kept shutting off over bumps. I could not figure out what was going on. I disconnected the trailer lights and the cruise has worked fine since.