GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Cruze Turbo Diesel

Discussion in 'Chevy Cruze Forum' started by tbplus10, Jun 14, 2013.

1. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

Visiting my local Chevy dealer today getting my wifes HHR serviced I got a chance to get an indepth look, under the hood and on the service rack of a new Chevy Cruise Turbo Diesel that was brought in by a regional rep. to give Chevy dealers a close look at the car.

After introducing myself and letting him know we were starting our search for a vehicle to replace the wifes HHR the rep was nice enough to take me on a test drive and let me put a few miles on the car myself.

For such a small engine the Cruise TBD has good launch and pickup at speed, you actually get a small kick in the seat when the turbo increases boost while driving at hwy speeds then speeding up more.

Launch from a standing start wasnt "tire blistering race car" but it can produce tire spin and I believe drivers a little more agressive habits (meaning someone driving without a Chevy rep sitting next to you giving you odd looks) could get some tire smoking starts.

One of the more positive aspects of the vehicle is the fact that the Turbo and injectors are an existing product that have the posibility to be upgraded, now all you need is a better intake and exhaust and this little car might become a decent performer with capability of getting 40+ mpg.

2014-Chevrolet-Cruze-Diesel-engine.jpg 2014-Cruze-Clean-Turbo-Diesel-Engine.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2013
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member

I'm not sure why its mostly been vw doing the tdi (even though they stopped for a while). Great gas mileage enough get up and go for a car. Small diesels should be more common IMHO. You can also get good upgrades out of a diesel :).
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

Yep thats my thoughts too. Itd be my wifes car so I wouldnt get to drive it much but Im thinking a well maintained little Diesel will last a long time, she only has 50k miles on here 5 yr old HHR so thats 10k a yr, at that mileage a well maintanid Diesel could be around a long time.
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I would love to see more small cars with a diesel. When I graduated high school in 1997 I had a friend who's dad work as an Ford executive. At the time they were testing out diesels in the tempo. they did their testing and my friends dad had a chance to buy one of them. So he did. My friend would have to fill up once every 3 weeks and last I had heard he had over 300,000 miles on it with no major repairs done. It was crazy pulling up next to this thing. It sounded like crap. The first time I heard it I asked, "Whats wrong with your car"? He looked at me and laughed and said, "nothing it is a diesel". Everyone that saw it was shocked at the time.
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

I have a friend in Virginia that has a small fleet of Diesel Tempos, he swears by those cars, last count he had 35 of them all running and ready to go.
  6. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member

TB- According to folks at a mpg forum I frequent-they expect that Diesel Cruise to deliver OVER 50 mpg at 65 mph by just putting on the cc and pointing it.
    I think it is EPA hy 46mpg??
    Usually diesels EASILY beat EPA hy -by lot.
    His guess-Wayne=xcel on that forum is 55mpg at a steady 60 mph.
    I always pester him for steady 60 mph FE numbers so I can separate out his technique from what the car will inherently do.
    There are a fair number of diesel nuts on that forum-truck and car diesel nuts-and they are really looking forward to the diesel Cruise.
    Like you mentioned the engine isn't new- it is a tried and true GM Europe motor-really reliable-
    The price-more or less the same $26000 or so list as a TD VW- is high but it is expected to be very reliable-and comes kinda loaded-worlds higher trim than a base Cruise.
    And it come with GOOD QC- not pitiful VW quality control and overpriced VW dealer repair costs.
    Yeah-you could do worse
    but the betting is in a year or so they will be discounted because folks won't pay VW money for a small Chevy-no matter how loaded.
    We'll see.
    I'll let you know what numbers Wayne gets when he tests one-he gets to do the journalist tests-keeps it a couple of days etc
    Charlie
    PS He said it was very quiet-nothing like 1980 diesel cars-clatter clatter sooty smoke and stench-quick too just as you say-8.5 0-60 I think is GMs claim
  7. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator

Several months ago I read a very small article in an automotive magazine about the diesel-powered Cruze. I know the Cruze is getting good reviews and and small diesel engines are pretty stout. It seemed like a combo that makes sense. I am quite interested in one and will definitely consider one (if they are available) around Q2 of next year when I am ready to buy a new car.
  8. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member

Right-good reviews.and compared to its only competition-various VW TDI- it comes off well
    Better Hy EPA than the VW-
    slightly lower -27mpg I think-city EPA
    but quicker-
    most importantly -it ISN'T A VW with VWs not great QC (which folks claim has improved)
    Now VW TDI nuts-are more or less certifiable-like many truck Diesel nuts.
    I'm SOUR GRAPES in respect to small TD in cars because
    1)spark gasoline motors are sooooo good now-80% of TD mpg
    2)Gasoline motored cars are at least $5000 cheaper to buy-now MSRP is only $2500 or so more-but you can never buy a base car-cheapskate like me,base is it- with a TD-so it is always $5000
    3) 30 to 70 cent diesel fuel premium last 10 years-unlikely to change
    4) Fuel injection-fuel systems-seem kinda delicate on TDs of all types-just ask 2004 6.0 Ford owners
    5) The Prius-for slightly less $$- beats all TD cars in FE- by a LOT-maybe 20% or more
    6) Mainly it is SOUR GRAPES-since I can't buy one in the next few years. I actually would love to own a TD Cruise-

but forget TDI VW- my in with my wife-in 1980-was trying to fix her POS fastback VW suitcase engine 4 cyl with early EFI- I was unsuccessful fixing the VW- SOB caught fire WHILE we were driving it- but married wife- but still prejudiced against VW!!

Yes I would love a TD Cruise with that TD 250 ft lbs(not actually sure on torque but probably plenty)
    our 2006 Prius- great mpg-very reliable-cheap to maintain-BUT BORING- like a toaster!! Great transportation appliance-but a really vanilla car!!
    Charlie
  9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

Im thinking the TD Cruze is gonna be somewhat vanilla too, but Im more interested in something thatll get good mpg and last a long time, yea it wont attract the chicks or do impressive burn outs but if I can get many years of trouble free driving with economy Im in. Besides itll be for the wife and she really doesnt care what she drives as long as it doesnt break down on her.
  10. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member

TD
    The diesel nuts on the mpg forum-seem to think the Cruise will feel somewhat sporty with the quick 8.5 0-60.
    they are looking forward to it.
    Yes I am past being interested in attracting chicks and burnouts- married 62 yo-forget it.
    I just want vehicles to do what you want-cheap to own-don't break much-and DON'T leave me on the side of the road
  11. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

What's the price look like compared to the gasoline version?
  12. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member

I think the MSRP starts at $25,990 or so.
    But-it is loaded trim level.
    Cheapest gas Cruise might MSRP at $17,000 I think
    On another forum they said the Diesel seem to add $2500 over equivalent trim gasser
    But you can't get a stripper TD
    Not cheap-roughly the same as a TD VW according to other forum folks who follow it closely
    Modern turbo diesels- EXPENSIVE to build buy-just look at the TD 3/4 tons-GM FORD DODGE- BIG PREMIUM.
    The Cruise will list for slightly more than a base Prius-(not the cheapo stripper Prius) but maybe a tiny bit less than a Prius with similar equipment
    The "Line" on the other forum- the TD will BEAT the Prius in 65mph HY MPG- actual hy FE winner will depend on gasoline diesel costs.
    Some guy in midwest says they are paying $3.80 for diesel but $4.20 for gas??
    We-NOLA- $3.41 gas $3.80 diesel(same as premium usually)

Bottom line-they don't give them away-but same as VW or a Prius
    But it will be more "fun" than a Prius-BIG TORQUE- 2 SECONDS FASTER 0-60
  13. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

Local Chevy dealer called me this morning with news they had a Chevy Cruze in stock that matched exactly what I was looking for.
    Wife and I went to look at it out of courtesy and curiosity since we really didnt plan on buying yet. She's leaving on a trip tomorrow for the next 30 days with the granddaughter, their driving the wifes HHR to Northern Ca. then up to Vancouver Isle B.C..

The dealership was ready to sell the minute we got there, like Charlie said the only Diesel Cruze available is fully loaded, this particular one had a few more bells and whistles, Power Sun Roof, 2LT Diesel Convienence pkg, Enhanced Safety pkg, Oil pan htr, Fog Lamp kit, Pioneer 9 speeker system, All weather mats, Cargo mat, Sport pedal kit, and Illuminated door sill kit.
    MSRP was $29,880, before I even started talking they quoted a price of $27,000, after haggling back and forth I was able to get the price to $26,250 then they added a buyer loyalty incentive of $2500 bringing it down to $23,750.
    Before we were able to get the papers signed another customer coming in for the parts department drove in the parking lot and bumped the right rear corner of the car while he was trying to get into a parking space, put a 2" gouge in the bumper and a 1/2" scrape in the paint. About this time I told them forget this I gotta go to work, the wife has to pack and I just dont think this deal is gonna work.
    The sales manager came out and looked at the car, decided on the spot if we'd buy the car as a used car for $20,000 he'd have the damage fixed when my wife gets back from her trip by replacing the bumper and repainting the quarter panel, he'd also cover any hidden damage found. A body shop rep looked everything over real good and didnt find anything at this time but they agreed to await the determination until they take the car apart for repairs next month when it comes back from the wifes road trip.

I should have some real world mileage figures sometime next month.
  14. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator

WOW, some asshat hit a parked car? A brand new parked car??? Some people...

Pretty awesome that you got $10k off the sticker though.
  15. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member

Whooooo
    Wait until i tell this story on the mpg forum.
    They will be getting buddies to ram TD Cruises-
    some of them FOAM at the mouth about TD cars!!
    $20,000- full warranty low miles-
    You LUCKY so and so!!
    $20,000 for a LOADED car that will get 50 mpg at hy speeds-best guess by mpg nuts is it will get 50 mpg at pretty close to 70MPH!!
    They sell Civics Corollas Focus even barely more than base 1.8 lt Cruise(the cheap motor not the turbo 1.4 that get the great mpg) for almost $20,000
    Shoot-I will post this story over there!!
    That was the luckiest wreck ever. $4000 for a bump dent they will fix!!
    Shoot my poor Suburban isn't even worth $4000-except to me.If it was totaled-bet I would get just $1500!!
    Guess they wanted to get them on the road??
    And that is a loaded car

Just curious-what is a sport pedal kit?
    Don't you live near DFW?? They are driving almost 2500 miles one way to Vancouver??
    5000 mile trip?? Certainly the right vehicle for a 5000 mile road trip!! It use just 2/3 the fuel the HHR would use!
  16. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

Texas auto sales regulations require any new previously unsold vehicle that require repairs beyond a certain cost/amount of repairs must be sold as a used vehicle, the dealership in the interest of keeping the sale alive decided not to argue the issue, take the hit but make the sale, it helps Ive bought 6 new trucks and 2 new cars from this dealership in the last 6 years.
    I started to walk on the deal and let them know we didnt have the time to work on it at this time since the wife was leaving in the am. Told them I might be back in the fall if I was still interested. that worked wonders and made them jump through hoops.
    The spot pedal kit is a fancy brake and gas pedal along with a drivers foot rest installed by the dealer.
    Yea were south of Dallas by about 15 miles. The trip will take them to Las Vegas, San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Sacramento, Oak Harbor Wash., the tip of Vancouver Isle, Boise Idaho, Reno, back to Sacramento to drop off passengers, then back to DFW with a side trip to the Grand Canyon on the way back.
    Im thinking itll be closer to 7500/8000 miles. If the car gets just the advertised mpg itll save a decent piece of change, my wife has a very light foot and avgs 34mpg with the HHR so I think she'll get some remarkable #'s with this car.
    She's tracking her mileage so I should start seeing how well it does in a few days.
  17. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member

Must say I'm kinda borderline jealous!!
    I'm better your wife will get-on the actual hy trip portion-50-maybe 55mpg!!
    8000 miles-you might use just 160 gallons-vs maybe 240 for HHR- figure save $400+ because fuel is really pricy on W coast
    about what I'll use on a 3000 mile trip to Flagstaff.
    Good customer- well that certainly paid off-you will be the only person paying $20,000 for a loaded Cruise TD-
    heck certainly the cheapest price anyone has paid for a TD car-AT- in 10 years. The VW TDs are never given away-guy was bragging about paying just $23,000 for a VW TD MT stripper recently-not a lot of folks looking for MT cars anymore.
    Really curious on the mpg-it will be good-just curious if it is 50mpg good or 55mpg good.
    I find I get my best mpg along I-40 between Amarillo and Flagstaff-especially W>E
    The elevation-maybe averaging 4000 ft- helps mpg-thin air.And W>E is slightly downhill-
    and I think the prevailing summer winds are more W>E (not exactly W>E) but more or less from the west
    But the thin air is worth maybe .5 mpg on the Suburban
  18. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

Alright Charlie the car is a week old and has about 2600 miles.
    At this time their in San Francisco.
    They drove from DFW to Las Vegas in 20 hours, Avg speed 60mph, actual speed 75 with c/c and a/c on. They avg 52 mpg.
    Next was Las Vegas to L.A. then San diego, 8 hrs, avg speed 51mph, actual speed 55 with a/c and c/c. Avg fuel consumption 46mpg.
    Next leg was San Diego to San Francisco, 7 hrs, avg speed 60mph, actual speed 75mph with c/c and a/c. Avg fuel consumption 52mpg.
    The next leg will be tomorrow, 120 miles from San Francisco to Sacramento, Saturday and Sunday Theyll make a trip to South lake Tahoe and Reno, 500 miles round trip back to Sacto. Then Tuesday they head north towards Canada.
    Ive been told around 5k many owners are seeing a bump in mileage as the engine begins to loosen up after its break in.
    I was also told I might want to have her stop about that time and even thought it'll be early have the oil changed.
  19. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member

WOW
    Averaging 75mph driving speed getting 52mpg-spectacular??
    Yeah-that is better than the Prius-at 75 mph it is maybe 43 mpg or a bit less
    They have averaged a bit better than 51 mpg-2030 miles or so
    1620 of them at 75 mph driving speed and 52 mpg
    Yeah-that is a bit better than i would have guessed at 75 mph driving speed.I would have guessed close to 46mpg EPA HY at 75 mph- but TD are great hy(and city) always beat EPA by a lot

We once did Flagstaff TO new Orleans-1500 miles-in 24.5 hrs- 62 mph trip speed.We drove about 78 mph to do it-3 drivers- but we stopped maybe 5 times-gas bathroom-Honda Pilot-got 15 mpg!! Pitiful
    thanks
    I'll pass this on
  20. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

Something I found interesting is with this car the 70+ mph range give better mpg than 50/60 mph, I thought it was a fluke but after reading an article by Ed Wallace a DFW car reviewer he pointed out the same thing and proved his suspicion by running his review car at tha speed as much as possible and seting some great mileage numbers.