Cup Holder In Dash Stuck Closed; 1996 Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 2091B22, Feb 25, 2012.

1. 2091B22

2091B22 New Member

I am a newbie to the truck club, and a newbie to my Suburban. I have a 1996 GMC K2500 4X4 diesel 6.5 L. The cup holder in the dash just to the right of the radio is stuck closed. I am afraid to apply too much pressure. I have looked on this forum and a couple of other forums, but I must be the only person with the problem. I have a Chilton's manual for 1988-98 full size trucks, and of course there is no mention of cup holders. Does any one have a clue about how to open the cup holder or where on line I might be able to get a drawing of the actual cup holder? Is there a secret lever or spring that may be stuck?

2. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Too much crap has been spilled in it. It is corroded. There is a friction/sorta/spring/catch that rusts. It takes both hands to open the one in my 1999, which is the same piece of hardware. You're talking about the one that unfolds like a butterfly when open? Just pull it hard enough, and then WD40 the thing once open, and wipe it down good.

3. 2091B22

2091B22 New Member

Well it worked. I applied more pressure than normal and it pulled out. What I discovered was the swing out cup holder was gone, and a broken piece had wedged in the mechanism somehow. When the cup holder finally pulled out, I was able to retreive the broken part from the back of the area. Now the cup holder pulls in and out with no trouble. I have ordered a used fully functioning cup holder off of Ebay.