1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cup Holder In Dash Stuck Closed; 1996 Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 2091B22, Feb 25, 2012.

1. 2091B22

2091B22 New Member

I am a newbie to the truck club, and a newbie to my Suburban. I have a 1996 GMC K2500 4X4 diesel 6.5 L. The cup holder in the dash just to the right of the radio is stuck closed. I am afraid to apply too much pressure. I have looked on this forum and a couple of other forums, but I must be the only person with the problem. I have a Chilton's manual for 1988-98 full size trucks, and of course there is no mention of cup holders. Does any one have a clue about how to open the cup holder or where on line I might be able to get a drawing of the actual cup holder? Is there a secret lever or spring that may be stuck?
  2. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Too much crap has been spilled in it. It is corroded. There is a friction/sorta/spring/catch that rusts. It takes both hands to open the one in my 1999, which is the same piece of hardware. You're talking about the one that unfolds like a butterfly when open? Just pull it hard enough, and then WD40 the thing once open, and wipe it down good.
  3. 2091B22

2091B22 New Member

Well it worked. I applied more pressure than normal and it pulled out. What I discovered was the swing out cup holder was gone, and a broken piece had wedged in the mechanism somehow. When the cup holder finally pulled out, I was able to retreive the broken part from the back of the area. Now the cup holder pulls in and out with no trouble. I have ordered a used fully functioning cup holder off of Ebay.