1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

curious

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by rbramhill, Jan 17, 2013.

1. rbramhill

rbramhill New Member

Hey yall,

Just curious guys im looking at gettig a CAI just wondering what you guys would recommend or to stay away from

thanks

come on muddd
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That depends on what you expect it to do. CAI's are like snake oil -- and their manufacturers all claim they provide performance/mpg improvements. I've had two of them and they DO provide a measurable (on a dyno) performance improvement at WOT (wide open throttle), but I wouldn't call it human-noticeable, at all. My mpg didn't move, at all, with either my CAI's.

My truck came (used) with an aftermarket Outlaw CAI that's no longer made. When the proprietary Outlaw filter separated and became unusable, I needed to replace it ... which also meant replacing the air box ... so I chose to go with a Volant CAI because I liked the airbox. I knew I was buying a look and a sound when I bought it and expected nothing human-noticeable from it in terms of performance or MPG.

If my truck had an OEM airbox I'd remove the filter, remove the airbox, cut the bottom out of the airbox, place the airbox back in the truck, and install a conical K&N filter in it ... and call it a day. That'll get you everything a CAI brings to the table (i.e. measurable but not human-noticeable performance improvement at WOT ... and a different sound and a better filter).
  3. rbramhill

rbramhill New Member

Thanks [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION] great advice do you know anyone who has done that mod with cutting the air box?
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

@nakranij took his out completely, installed a 'wall' between the engine compartment and the corner where the airbox is, and put in a K&N filter. I don't think it looks as good as the airbox mod about which I spoke (no offense, Nak), but it's just as functional.