1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Custom Air Intake Scoop for GMT900 Trucks

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Wolfman217, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Wolfman217

Wolfman217 New Member

Hey Everybody,

My buddy and I are going to be installing a custom intake scoop on my 2008 GMC Sierra today. And when I say custom, I mean totally custom. I bought a 4" 200 CFM cooling fan for a computer and are going to mount it to a intake duct mount and have that mounted to to a Spectre Intake funnel.The fan is going to be mounted on the intake box and connected to a switch in the dash and the battery, so I can turn it on when I want. And for anybody who owns a GMT900, there is a space between what looks like the headlight and the radiator for this thing to fit perfect. The funnel will be able to grab cold air from the grill while driving. I attached photos for you guys to see it, so tell me what you think. 20130808_190136.jpg 20130808_190129.jpg
  2. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 100 Posts

Need more photos of figment are. Why does it need a fan?
  3. Wolfman217

Wolfman217 New Member

So it can get more air into the air box when it isnt moving on the highway
  4. BurbanMan

Not to question you on the subject as you seem to know more than I do, but if I'm not mistaken that would cause the vehicle to be less fuel efficient. More air means more fuel. So idling with the fan on pushing more air will cause a loss in mpg. Getting the outside air is a plus, but I fail to understand the logic. I suppose what I wish to know is, what are you wanting to do with the vehicle?
  5. Wolfman217

Wolfman217 New Member

Performance is what I'm looking for
  6. BurbanMan

Do you have a programmer? Otherwise, your not going to see any noticeable improvement with stock tune.
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I suspect what your attempting to build is a poor mans Supercharger or Turbo.
    As posted above without a tuner on newer trucks you wont gain any noticeable improvements, the controlling factor is the computer, and with new systems you can ram all the air you want down the intake but unless the computer decides to do something with it you'll end up creating a lean condition at times and a rich condition at other times. Unless the factory parameters are changed the engine will always be reacting to incoming air volume and attempting to adjust to it. Factory parameters have a good idea of volume to expect and anything outside that amount doesnt get used efficiently unless those parameters are changed.
  8. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 New Member 100 Posts

^I agree with what he said
  9. dobey

dobey Member 100 Posts

200 CFM is very little. It is less than the engine is going to suck in by pure vacuum. Sticking a 200 CFM PC fan in the intake tract isn't going to gain you any performance. What it's going to do is create a restriction, and provide a piece of equipment that could itself get sucked into the engine and cause damage. A PC fan is not designed or built to be put into the conditions of an automotive intake system.

Those fans are very weak. The blades will break off and get sucked in. Hopefully the air filter you have is strong enough to prevent them going into the engine, but a sharp piece of plastic like that could easily cut through an air filter, at the speed it would be getting sucked in at; especially under wide open throttle.
  10. Wolfman217

Wolfman217 New Member

The Fan is made of aluminum... and in the end it actually reduced my intake temperatures a lot. I have been running the android app torque and seem to have a tad more power. But like one guy said if i wanna see big improvements, i need to get a tune