Custom AR Build

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by rileyjr16, Jul 25, 2014.

1. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

So I got the build fever from a buddy of mine to build an AR for my wife. Starting with a PSA blemished lower that I ordered for 50$ (yes $50) and I'm looking for a Ranger Proof stripped upper or maybe a whole together upper for her. Its gonna stay more towards the lightweight side. She wants it all white but I want to throw a little bit of black in there. I heard of this thing called Kerakote (SP?) but I also know people dip them and if I'm not mistaken a member on here has a dipping business but I forgot who exactly. Now I'm going to be installing either a drop in or a free float hand guard as well as a lightweight barrel like on the early M-16s as well as a 3 prong (brush grabber) flash suppressor. Bolt will probably be stainless colored and any other accessories will be painted to match.

Now what is kerakote and how well does it withstand heat and how expensive is it? Also what about hydrodipping heat wise and expense wise?

2. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

I have just had krylon on mine for 3 years... Just starting to show the wear.

3. rileyjr16

Is that the hi temp spray paint? I know it's gotta be pretty clean to spray it. Like ran through the dishwasher clean. Haven't gotten the lower in yet so it will be a while. Been parts shopping. Gonna build the lower first and test it on my RRA upper and if everything works I'll start on her upper assembly which I will probably be ordering from Delton. She wants white/stainless, white/black, black/tan, all white which will be perfect if we had some snow up here. So not sure which color scheme or route to go for now

4. bruce.thorne.583

bruce.thorne.583 New Member

I feel kinda dumb asking this , but does someone care to explain what an AR is?

5. rileyjr16

A rifle. Holds usually 30bullets, really fun to shoot and a labor of love to build.

6. bruce.thorne.583

bruce.thorne.583 New Member

Ok I figured it was a rifle but wasn't sure lol thanks !

7. Paladin

Paladin Member

I think what you mean is Cerakote. Cerakote is a ceramic based finish that comes in various colors and resists abrasion, wear, corrosion and chemicals such as gun cleaning solvent and oil.

You can buy a kit and do it yourself but in addition to Cerakote, you will also need a good compressor, access to a sandblaster, HVLP Mini Touch-Up Gravity fed gun and a baking oven (do not recommend you do this in your wife's oven). You will also needs lots of solvent to remove all traces of oil, grease and other contaminants. It is a time consuming process.

I have read a number accounts of people who have tried the DIY approach and everyone of them concedes that it would have been better and cheaper had they sent it off to have it professionally done.

Do a web search for “Cerakote service” to find companies that do this sort of work. You can get a bi-tone color done for about $300.

8. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

ar = ar-15.

- - - Updated - - -

And this is exactly why I don't mess with painting/finishing my own rifles. I build my own but I either do all-black or I'll get colored furniture from Magpul.

9. Paladin

Paladin Member

The AR is a civilian version of the military's M16 assault rifle.

Contrary to the anti-gun propaganda, AR does not stand for "assault rifle", the name is derived from the original manufacturer of the firearm, ArmaLite. ArmaLite sold the rights to the AR-10 and AR-15 designs to colt in 1959.

The firearm has gained immense popularity over the decades and today the platform is offered by a large number of firearm manufacturers in a plethora of calibers.

Because of this popularity, a large market of accessories for the weapon has developed allowing owners’ almost limitless options to configure their AR to suit their individual tastes and needs.

10. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

LOL, you make one post about AR-15s and now all the ads on this site are for EOTech optics!