1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Custom painted engine cover!

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by Sierraowner5.3, May 19, 2012.

1. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Active Member 1000 Posts

well, I knocked out one mod today, thought of it a while back.

what i did was fairly simple. I bought some stick on letters from advance auto parts, sanded them lightly to help the paint stick. (cleaned with brake cleaner to remove sanding dust) then I got out the krylon red I had left over from the rims and painted them. I initially was going to go chrome and leave the letters alone and just paint the VORTEC, but decided red might go better with the truck. Glad I did. saved me 3 dollars worth of paint to boot. the VORTEC logo was lightly sanded and painted as well.

But, Alex how DID you paint those letters? after i cleaned the cover, ( alos used some brake cleaner, works great!) well, I got some of the painters tape I had (also left over from the rim project lol) rolled them together so they were sticky on both sides. i made the patch of tape large enough for all 6 numbers, and stuck them to it. I taped down the edges of the rolled tape to help hold the edges down.

Two coats for the numbers and the letters. seemed to be enough, used a brush to do it. any more on the numbers and it would have looked thick. In hindsight, I would use some good red spray paint for a more even coat, but didnt want to spend more money, or make another stop. was busy enough today doing a things. the letters on the cover itself, definatly use a brush on, if you are toying with this yourself.

first pic is inside on the floor, then a close up in the engine bay, then a wider angle shot. sorry for the quality of the last two, they were taken with a flash outside in the dark. if you want more let me know, ill take more in the daylight.

enjoy, if you have any questions, let me know, as always compliments are appreciated.

enough out of me, PICTURES!!!!

Alex

Attached Files:

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

2-Thumbs-Up Alex........You did a Awesome Job.....the Engine Cover looks Great......:great:
  3. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Nice. Might have to borrow that one.:great:
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Very Cool.... Always wanted to do mine... Now you got me thinking......:glasses:
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Um........Alex what engine have you got in your truck?
    Because according to GM our engines are actually 325 CID

Type: 5.3L Gen IV V-8 Small Block

Displacement: 5328cc (325 ci)

Engine Orientation Longitudinal

Compression ratio: 9.6:1

Valve configuration: Overhead valves

Valves per cylinder 2

Assembly site: Romulus, MI
    St. Catherines, Ontario

Valve lifters: Hydraulic roller

Firing order: 1 - 8 - 7 - 2 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3

Bore x stroke: 96.01 x 92mm

Fuel system: Sequential fuel injection

Fuel Type: Regular unleaded and E85 Flex Fuel

Applications: All listed models

Maximum Engine Speed: 6000 RPM

Emissions controls: Catalytic converter
    Three-way catalyst
    Positive crankcase ventilation

Applications:

Horsepower: hp ( kw )

Chevrolet Avalanche
    320 hp ( 239 kW ) @ 5400 rpm SAE CERTIFIED ( gasoline, as tested )

Chevrolet Suburban
    GMC Yukon XL
    Chevrolet Tahoe
    GMC Yukon
    326 hp ( 243 kW ) @ 5300 rpm SAE CERTIFIED ( E85 Flex Fuel, as tested )

Chevrolet Silverado
    315 hp ( 235 kW ) @ 5200 rpm SAE CERTIFIED ( gasoline, as tested )

GMC Sierra
    326 hp ( 243 kW ) @ 5300 rpm SAE CERTIFIED ( E85 Flex Fuel, as tested )

Block: Cast iron

Cylinder head: Cast aluminum

Intake manifold: Composite

Exhaust manifold: Cast nodular iron

Main bearing caps: Powder metal

Crankshaft: Cast nodular iron with undercut and rolled fillets

Camshaft: Hollow steel

Connecting rods: Powder metal

Additional features:

Active Fuel Managementâ„¢
    E85 Flex Fuel
    Variable Valve Timing ( VVT )
    Electronic throttle control
    Extended life accessory drive belt
    Extended life coolant
    Extended life spark plugs
    Oil Life Monitor System
  6. Sierraowner5.3

i see how it is, nothing but criticism.. lol. i realize that a 5.3 isnt a true 327 ci small block. more of a spiritual successor. but meh, most people dont know that a 5.3 isnt a true 327. i thought a 5.3 was a 327 for a long time.

Alex
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Nah doesnt change the fact the cover looks good, and your right most people dont realize the 5.3 is a 325.

I didnt realize the 5.3 was a 325 until about a week ago I was verifying the CI because I was gonna get some pinstripe and airbrush work done on my truck incorporating "327 CI" on the sides of the hood, when I checked the GM Powertrain website I was actually surprised at the result.

You also missed something more important, your GMC is rated at 11HP more than a similarly equiped Chevrolet Silverado.
  8. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I think the HP rating is more because it was tested on E-85 where as the silverado was regular gas. Not sure why they would do that but that's what I noticed.

I too thought it was a 327 good to now otherwise.
  9. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts

Alex I like it. I am in the research phase of making some changes to my under hood plastic. I attempted a mod but the touch up paint that I got to make said mod was the wrong color. I even went with the color code in the glove box. The color came out gray instead of a grayish blue. Anyways. I like how the numbers stick out. Just a suggestion for ya. What about doing the raised parts by your numbers in red also?
  10. Sierraowner5.3

what exactly do you mean by raised parts? i dont follow...

Alex