Custom Steering wheel recover

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by donyms, Feb 23, 2012.

1. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I was thinking about upgrading to the 2003 style steering wheel in my 2002 but I understand that the spline is different and would require a new column and a lot more than I want to get into so my question is, where can I get a 2002 steering wheel with the leather wrap in red and black or if they are no longer available as it seems. Where can I get it recovered in black and red leather at a decent price. Thanks for any help.

post picture.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  2. Untouchable

Untouchable Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I googled "leather steering wheel wrap" and found a lot of websites that sell two-tone leather steering wheel wraps.

3. donyms

Thanks for the tip but I am really looking for a factory type recover as opposed to a cover. but some of those covers look pretty good. Also I want to get it done professionally, If I were to do it it would be a mess and I don't have enough patients for something like that. Again thanks for the suggestion.

4. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Check you local upholstery shop.i know a shop here in Utah that does all manner of custom work .

5. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

yeah bro.. usually your local upholster shops will be able to do stuff like that for a reasonable price and guarantee their work.

6. donyms

Thanks to all of you, I will check out some shops around Mobile and see if they will do what I need. I had talked to one in Mobile that my Chevy dealer recommended and the guy said "it would take about 10 hours and I wouldn't want to pay him for 10 hours". I will check some others and see what they say. Thanks again for all for your suggestions.

post picture.jpg

7. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Grant Wheel.jpg Get a wheel like this and have it recovered...They also come with Red inserts..

8. donyms

I would love to get a new style wheel and you can get them red and black already but I have been told many times that they want work on my truck. The spline is different among other things do you know something I don't? Would really appreciate some guidance on this.

9. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I will be with Wes from Grant next week at the Keystone show I will ask away.. Did you go on his site? www.grantproducts.com

10. donyms

Yes I have been on the grant site and just double checked it again. They have the wheel I want in a 2003 and up but not the 2002 Silverado. I was going to go with the 2003 and buy an airbag and trim for it but I found out the spline is differant and would require a column change, not worth it to me. If he says that he has a 2002 Silverado with the red and black leather I will buy it. Thanks for the help man.