1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Custom Tune Comparison

Discussion in 'Programmers & Tuning' started by Rockman18, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Rockman18

Rockman18 New Member

I am hopefully going to be in the market for a custom tune in the near future and was wondering if the tune you can get in combination with the Diablo Sports tuners and the tune from Black Bear is pretty much the same thing? I know that in the long run I would have more options with the Diablo Sport tuners because of the ability to change the tunes and see live data but I didn't know if the tunes were comparable. Thanks for any help.
  2. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS New Member 100 Posts

I can definitely get you hooked up!

The diablosport tools offer the most end-user adjustability of any others... full parameter support for complete data logging capabilities... dyno-developed preset tunes that come on the tool... ability to scan/clear trouble codes... ability to restore original backup stock tune at any time without leaving a trace... etc etc etc...

I sell the inTune and I also offer a package deal that includes my custom tuning at a reduced cost so you'd save some $$. ;)

You can find info about it, as well as links to my Package Deals, Testimonials, etc. on my site here: http://www.diablewtune.com and http://www.diablewtune.com/package_deals.html

With the custom tune, you'll gain even better/quicker throttle response & acceleration, stronger/harder pull, smoother & quicker power delivery throughout the rpms, etc...

As far as gains go... absolute hp/tq gains are hard to predict... every vehicle is different... even if they're the same and have similar mods... location/weather, fuel used, elevation/altitude, etc etc all play a role... the same holds true for mileage gains - those variables, plus driving habits/style, how much highway vs city driving, etc all make a difference.... you could gain no mpg increase, or you could gain up to about 3 mpg increase... tough to say due to the variables in play... so there is no guarantee of any specific amount of hp/tq or mileage gains...

with the custom tune, I CAN tell you that you will definitely have a very noticeable performance difference/gain over and above the canned preset diablo tunes...

I have gained people anywhere from 12-39hp, and 10-23lb. ft. torque...and 0 to 2 mpg - above and beyond what the preset canned tunes give you... again, obviously mods, fuel used, etc all played a role in who gained what...

any questions, please feel free to hit me up...

Thanks for asking man, I appreciate it!
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  3. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Everything I've read, if you want to get a custome tune you need to do the dyno thing.

Change some settings, do a dyno run, take it out for a spin, etc. Still, even after that the hp/tq numbers you're going to get are going to be ~5%. To get any more power, you'll need to do some actual physical mods (exhaust, cam, intake, etc.).
  4. 06MonteSS

with my custom tuning that's available via the diablosport tools, it's the same as getting a dyno tune... I have you do multiple data logs for me via real-world driving, and base the adjustments off of the real-world data logging information for exactly how your truck is running... so the custom tune is specific for YOUR truck... it's not a generic tune.. it is specific for YOUR truck, same as a dyno tune, where they do the same data logging, etc...

BUT, my custom tuning is done for both part-throttle regular driving (aka "street tune") and WOT as well.. whereas most dyno tuning is for WOT only.. and if they DO do street tuning for part-throttle to get your fueling/fuel trims adjusted correctly, they would charge you extra....

my custom tuning includes both, for same cost... plus I give free tune updates for 1 year... plus you'd be able to restore your original backup stock tune at any time you need to, and not have to go back to a tune shop to have them restore the stock tune, and then go back to them afterwards to have them re-install the custom tune again, etc etc...
  5. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I highly recommend Lew and his service:great:
  6. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 100 Posts

I 2nd hooking up with Lew... he did my custom tune on my truck... it took us a few times with all the mods and the fact that he wanted it perfect. Now my truck a monster... its like driving an 3/4 ton camaro...:)))
  7. Rockman18

Rockman18 New Member

I was already heavily leaning towards a Diablo Sport tuner and tune from Lew but the biggest negative for me was the cost, not that it's not worth it, especially with everything I have read about his tunes and how everyone has been happy with it. I just don't have a lot of disposable income and it is something that my wife will not necessarily think is needed for the truck like I do.
  8. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Definitely understandable...For me, I got the tuner first and then came back to Lew a few months later.
  9. Rockman18

Rockman18 New Member

I was able to get a Trinity for a pretty good deal and want to go ahead and get a custom tune from you Lew but right now I have my plow on and don't know if that is something that I should wait to do until closer to spring when I take it off in case it affects my logs
  10. 06MonteSS

yeah, no problem man.. we can wait until you have that off.....