1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Custom Tune or Programmer?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by bry2500, Nov 19, 2008.

1. bry2500

bry2500 New Member 1000 Posts

I just found out that one of the engineers at my work has been tuning GM's for long time now. He is probably one of the smartest persons I know.So i trust him explicitly. He tuned another guys truck at work. Silverado 2500 ext cab. Not sure of the year.

He says he can get me 30 more ponies and 30 more ft/lbs of torque.

My question is which way would you go Custom tune or use a programmer ( hypertech/ diablosport/ etc)
  2. Thundare

Thundare New Member

hypertech.
  3. MWright936

MWright936 New Member 1000 Posts

In my opinion, from the research I have done, you will get the best results from a custom tune. This is because it is tuned specifically for your vehicle and takes all of your upgrades or modifications into account. The only down side is, you have to get a re-tune if you change anything. That's when it comes down to preference.

I went with a programmer so I could change anything at will. I have been super pleased with my Hypertech so far and would highly recommend it if you decide to go that route.
    1 person likes this.
  4. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab New Member 1000 Posts

i agree 100% :glasses:
  5. Never Enough

Never Enough New Member

Both routes are great. True you will probably get more gains from a custom tune, however...
    1) If you use your truck for multiple things, you have no control over changing it - towing vs daily driving
    2) If you sell your truck, you give away your tune whereas a programmer can be removed and put in a new truck, or sold to someone else and recoup some of your money.
    3) Most of the programmers out there also offer the ability to check and clear CELs
    4) If you swap wheels depending on the season, with a programmer you can modify tire size for the speedometer

I personally prefer the flexibility of a programmer, so thats what I went with. Thats what works for me. I figured 90% of the power (guessing) gains, and 120% the flexibility was good enough for me rather than a custom tune. However, I'm not going to dig into the motor with bigger injectors, cams and so on. If you are....a custom tune should be your choice as the programmers don't take these sorts of modifications into consideration.
    1 person likes this.
  6. JMoney02

JMoney02 New Member

Exactly, bolt-on horse power perfers the programmer, custom really needs to be used when adding internals to the motor, because dialing in all the hardware is Custom Tune to those certain mods and agreed there is NO programmer as of yet that will complete that function.
    Take the advise and go with the programmer, I also like Hypertech, works very well and reliable....

Jeff
    1 person likes this.
  7. bry2500

bry2500 New Member 1000 Posts

Thanks for the advice everyone. I wonder if I could do both though. Get the tune done and then save the settings in the programmer. Anyone know of a Programmer that does this?

Eventually when the economy turns around I plan on getting into heavy modding. Supercharger, injectors and so on.

I would like to get 550 hp or better and over 600 ft/lbs torque. A true monster.
  8. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab New Member 1000 Posts

that will be a pretty power truck (more than it allready is!) :happy:
  9. CoolBlueSS

CoolBlueSS New Member

I would do a custom tune over a programmer any day of the week, and twice on Sundays. There are many more parameters that you can fine tune to suit your needs. It's true that if you add something you should retune. But, most of the good tuners will offer free retunes for modifications. Besides, if you have access to someone with soft ware willing to do it, I say go for it.
  10. zach45

zach45 New Member

im going to get s custom blackbear tune..