Custom Tune or Programmer?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by bry2500, Nov 19, 2008.

1. bry2500

bry2500 New Member

I just found out that one of the engineers at my work has been tuning GM's for long time now. He is probably one of the smartest persons I know.So i trust him explicitly. He tuned another guys truck at work. Silverado 2500 ext cab. Not sure of the year.

He says he can get me 30 more ponies and 30 more ft/lbs of torque.

My question is which way would you go Custom tune or use a programmer ( hypertech/ diablosport/ etc)
  2. Thundare

Thundare New Member

hypertech.
  3. MWright936

MWright936 New Member

In my opinion, from the research I have done, you will get the best results from a custom tune. This is because it is tuned specifically for your vehicle and takes all of your upgrades or modifications into account. The only down side is, you have to get a re-tune if you change anything. That's when it comes down to preference.

I went with a programmer so I could change anything at will. I have been super pleased with my Hypertech so far and would highly recommend it if you decide to go that route.
    1 person likes this.
  4. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab New Member

i agree 100% :glasses:
  5. Never Enough

Never Enough New Member

Both routes are great. True you will probably get more gains from a custom tune, however...
    1) If you use your truck for multiple things, you have no control over changing it - towing vs daily driving
    2) If you sell your truck, you give away your tune whereas a programmer can be removed and put in a new truck, or sold to someone else and recoup some of your money.
    3) Most of the programmers out there also offer the ability to check and clear CELs
    4) If you swap wheels depending on the season, with a programmer you can modify tire size for the speedometer

I personally prefer the flexibility of a programmer, so thats what I went with. Thats what works for me. I figured 90% of the power (guessing) gains, and 120% the flexibility was good enough for me rather than a custom tune. However, I'm not going to dig into the motor with bigger injectors, cams and so on. If you are....a custom tune should be your choice as the programmers don't take these sorts of modifications into consideration.
    1 person likes this.
  6. JMoney02

JMoney02 New Member

Exactly, bolt-on horse power perfers the programmer, custom really needs to be used when adding internals to the motor, because dialing in all the hardware is Custom Tune to those certain mods and agreed there is NO programmer as of yet that will complete that function.
    Take the advise and go with the programmer, I also like Hypertech, works very well and reliable....

Jeff
    1 person likes this.
  7. bry2500

bry2500 New Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. I wonder if I could do both though. Get the tune done and then save the settings in the programmer. Anyone know of a Programmer that does this?

Eventually when the economy turns around I plan on getting into heavy modding. Supercharger, injectors and so on.

I would like to get 550 hp or better and over 600 ft/lbs torque. A true monster.
  8. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab New Member

that will be a pretty power truck (more than it allready is!) :happy:
  9. CoolBlueSS

CoolBlueSS New Member

I would do a custom tune over a programmer any day of the week, and twice on Sundays. There are many more parameters that you can fine tune to suit your needs. It's true that if you add something you should retune. But, most of the good tuners will offer free retunes for modifications. Besides, if you have access to someone with soft ware willing to do it, I say go for it.
  10. zach45

zach45 New Member

im going to get s custom blackbear tune..
  11. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member

All valid reasons for both. Custom tunes are cheaper and can be tweaked to your liking. Programmers have set tunes to flash your ECM for a variety of uses from economy, towing, and performance. I have a programmer on my diesel and run it on a mild 70HP tune that helps me to achieve the best mileage (17-20mpg) and if i want to impress my friends I can plug it in and push a few buttons to load a hotter tune. Having the ability to remove the speed limiter, calibrate my speedo, put my tranny in re-learn mode, read and reset DTC's, and run live diagostics has been awesome. I have never had it custom tuned so i can only give my opinion based on owning a programmer. Eventually I will be going with EFIlive so that I can install a variety of tunes as well as do my own custom tuning with my laptop.
    It's really up to you and what you have the need for. Anything is an improvement over stock for sure.
  12. CoolBlueSS

CoolBlueSS New Member

I've heard alot of good thing about him. He post on another board that I'm on, and he definitely knows his stuff.
  13. wpage

wpage New Member

What about HP Tuner thru a reseller with the tune?
  14. TomsHHR

TomsHHR New Member

My HHR and My Silverado both have a Trifecta Tune.

I will be a test truck for some Trifecta goodies through this spring. Right now the 4cyl mode is more aggressive on my 8-4cyl. Went to Omaha over new years and averaged 21mpg when it was -4 degrees and down to -15 during the trip. All this was with the cruise set at 70 mph.
  15. npverhey1

npverhey1 New Member

Id say go with the custom tune...Ive got a programmer now and its okay but it didnt give me the power gains I wanted...yeah its nice having the flexabilty of changing it on the go and bumping up shift points and taking off the limeter is cool in all but at the end of the day day it doesnt beat mashing the pedal and beating out another truck with a programmer
  16. Never Enough

Never Enough New Member

Some of the new tuners out there like Edge, Bully Dog and Diablosport also have the ability to display gauges. This is a significant cost savings over going with a pod and gauges. Cleaner look, more reliable, programming, flexibility, re-sellable and a warranty... Those were my deciding factors for running the Edge Evolution in my current Silverado. Next I'll be trying out the BullyDog GT Gas. Both are really nice displays as well.
    Its all in what you need out of your purchase...
  17. npverhey1

npverhey1 New Member

the kicker with those tuners is that theyre only for the new body style gms no love for the older styles :(
  18. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS New Member

huh?? not the DiabloSport Predator...

you can get a Predator for 1999-2010 trucks... there are different model predators for different model year trucks...

you can find the right one by selecting the info here:

http://diablosport.com/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=3

and they allow you to adjust things like:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Timing Table 1000-3800rpm (+15/- 20%)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Timing Table 4000-4800rpm (+15/- 20%)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Timing Table 5000-7000rpm (+15/- 20%)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fuel Table 1000-3800rpm (+/- 20%)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fuel Table 4000-4800rpm (+/- 20%)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fuel Table 5000-7000rpm (+/- 20%)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Idle (+ 500rpm / -300rpm)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Speed Limiters [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rev Limiters[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]RPM Shift Points[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MPH Up and Downshifts[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Shift Timing[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Shift Pressure[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cooling Fan ON and OFF temperatures[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Re-Calibrate Speedometer for Gear and Tire Size Changes[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Upshift torque reduction (all gears) ON/OFF[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Adjust for different injector size[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Adjust COT enable temperature

Plus, you can get custom tunes written specifically for your vehicle by a DiabloSport CMR tuner - then import it to your Predator and install to the truck... and still maintain the adjustability of the parameters listed above if you change your setup and want to tweak any of those things yourself...

[/FONT]
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  19. npverhey1

npverhey1 New Member

no **** lol thanks for that