1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Custom

Discussion in 'General Classifieds' started by expediter, Apr 11, 2011.

1. expediter

expediter New Member Platinum Contributor

I am wondering who has experience in fabing a "flip" front clip on p/u's?
  2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I did one on a '56 Chevy several years ago. Are you planning on using your steel front clip (more difficult due to the weight) or getting a one piece glass or carbon fiber front end (easier)
    It's labor intensive but it can be done. If you can fab, you can do it.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I've done one on a 77 Chevy Dually I used to own, this isnt a project for those who cant bear to cut into their sheet metal or those that arent familiar with different fabbing tools.
    After completing mine I swore I'd never do steel again, if I ever do another one it'll be a composit.
    Good luck on what ever choice you make.
  4. expediter

expediter New Member Platinum Contributor

sup!!! Stephan.. I'd like to use steel..Ima sure no-one wants to have one,they are called "accidents" I am a true shade tree mechanic.

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

Sup tbplus10
    Nope i am a newbie in fabin annd have no tools other than a welder ,air compressor,n a big jack.Of course I have "hand tools" and oh yeah desire..
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If you dont mind learning, a lot of hard work, and the possibility of ruining some good body parts I say go for it.
    Buy a spare front clip, if possible get the full cab, clip and frame to do the work on, after youve perfected it you can swap it to your driver.
    Keep in mind steel is heavy and if your not gonna use a drive or hydraulics for lift you need to find a perfect balance point. This was the biggest problem I had, finding a perfect balance point that allowed everything to hinge without binding and crunching.
    If you go metal please post pics I'd love to see the progress and finished piece.
  6. 383man

383man Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

i'd just like to see some pics of what you guys are talking about, kinda lost, but sounds cool lol